Thursday, July 2, 2015

making an exit

There's a phrase often used in today's culture of "Elvis has left the building."  I want to point you to a better exit one that followers of God should strive for.  This year my Paw Paw passed away and my dad preached the funeral and my dad has this saying where he asks people to leave no doubt as to where your eternal soul is going.  There's a verse in Hebrews 11 that has always stuck in my head as one of the most peaceful and amazing things and never once have I heard a pastor say anything about it.  Hebrews 11:21 "It was by faith that Jacob, when he was old and dying, blessed each of Joseph's sons and bowed in worship as he leaned on his staff."  In my mind I see an old man who has lived a long life and is still praising and thanking God.  There's a song that sums up this verse to me at least.  "And on that day when my strength is failing.  The end draws near and my time has come.  Still my soul will sing your praise unending ten thousand years and then forevermore."  There's been a lot going on this wee as far as the media and social media where it seems evil is winning.  We have a life filled with choices and our choices like Jacob's affect our exit from this world and that of those around us.  Joshua 24:14-15 says this.  "So fear the Lord and serve him wholeheartedly.  Put away forever the idols your ancestors worshiped when they lived beyond the Euphrates River in Egypt.  Serve the Lord alone.  But if you refuse to serve the Lord, then choose today whom you will serve.  Would you prefer the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates?  Or will it be the gods of the Amorites in whose land you now live?  But as for me and my family we will serve the Lord."  Jacob and Joshua chose God.  I would very much like my life and exit from this world to be much like Jacob where it ends with me worshiping God.  If you want hope follow God because we have this hope: "When with the ransomed in glory his face I at last shall see.  'Twill be my joy through the ages to sing of his love for me."  My challenge to you the reader is this if you choose to follow God do so with the purpose of glorifying him in all things.  Live your life on purpose.  Get off the sidelines.  Its not about you its about God.   









No comments:

Post a Comment