Friday, July 24, 2015

More behind the scenes

It has been a while since I have posted a behind the scenes for the Batcave Blog.  At least once or twice a year we have a life group sign up to get people involved in small group bible studies.  During one of these times I was approached by Quentin.  He said something to me that floored me.  "I'm looking forward to what God is going to use you to teach me."  I have never claimed to want to be a teacher.  Thinking back over the years though I find his statement a bit strange along with what I just said because at one time I had a goal of being a Christian counselor for young people.  It never happened.  In fact when Chris Godoy and Pastor Greg pushed me to lead a bible study and Rebecca Rodriguez and Brooke Blodgett have encouraged it to go online I have not been able to make sense of it.  After what Quentin said I went to Jimmy Heald our Children's minister and Justin Garza our Youth Leader and I told them what Quentin said to me.  I informed them that for that young man to say that was something only God could cause to happen and they should never doubt that God was using them.  
Since all that I have also had a man named Joe Rodriguez join in reading the blog and he takes the time every time he sees us at church to check on Marion and me.  
Before in the blog I asked for godly friends for Marion and I to spend time with and though its not as often as we have wished but God has answered that prayer in the form of several people.  In fact this past week on my birthday we got to have dinner with Jason and Rebecca Rodriguez.  This evening we have dinner plans with David Hill.  
Earlier this year one of the biggest supporters I had in leading this study of God's word Cynthia Beatty went home to be with the Lord.  Ms. Beatty was Real Life Corpus's biggest prayer warrior.  During one sign up for life groups she told me she was praying for 4 people to sign up for the Batcave Blog.  Then she took my hands and prayed with me.  I'm going to finish typing this but just typing and remembering that brought me to tears.  That day 3 people signed up.  What I have found most fitting is David Hill someone Marion and I consider a dear friend has taken over as leader of her Prayer Warriors group.  As some of you know I write superhero fiction as well.  For months I had been writing a story called Operation Happy Hollyday and it became a tribute to Ms. Beatty, David Hill, Megan West, The Thompson family and Holly Emerson all friends from Real Life.  
A few months back a friend Sheryl Goza that I went to college with told me something that surprised me.  See I have been at times questioned for bringing the things I like into the Bible studies like comics, wrestling, cartoons and movies.  I was told by Sheryl that sometimes that's what other people like her relate to.  Not all teacher's illustrations work for all people.  She further told me because the blog is shared on facebook, blogspot and via e-mail I may never know who God is using it to reach.  The exact point was never more true when my friend Jonathan was talking to me at work and said "I read the Batcave blog."  Suddenly he and I started having spiritual conversations.  Then I had other friends on facebook like Esme and Donald who had never commented starting discussions when I post things.  I have also used things said to me by friends to emphasize points in scripture like the study with my friend Mary Jo involved.  
In addition Elijah Grinkavitch is a man who has impacted me a lot and he doesn't know it.  When i walk into church he's one of the few people who greets me by name and shows concern for how I'm doing.  
God is at work and it is beautiful!  
Also if you need two great books to encourage you in your walk with God I highly recommend Wrestling for my life by Shawn Michaels and Created for More by Jonathan Malm.  If you have kids or know one buy them a copy of the Action Bible.  It is the Bible in comic book form.  An awesome way to get them in God's word. 

No comments:

Post a Comment