Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Thinking about our thinking.

 

Thinking about our thinking.

 

          So, not too long ago my wife told me I was too grumpy all the time and she was right.  Been working through a lot of Bible reading plans on the You Version app on my phone.  Day 3 of this one called Get out of Your Head though just got my attention and I think we all need it so I’m going to share part of it with you. 

          “Learning to capture our thoughts matters.  Because how we think shapes how we live. 

          Lies such as I’m helpless, I’m worthless, I’m unlovable, shape our thinking, our emotions, and the way we respond to the world around us.  They trap us in their cycle of distraction and distortion and pain, preventing us from recognizing the truth we should believe.  Most detrimentally, they change how we view God.  Every lie we buy into about ourselves is rooted in what we believe about God. 

          Let’s say I tend to feel worthless and invisible.  And let’s say I read Ephesians 1 and learn that God because He deeply loves me, chooses me, and adopts me.  Even if I don’t overtly deny the validity of that premise, I still doubt it is true for me.  I nod at the truth, but I never fully absorb it and let it shape my identity. 

          Then let’s say I am married to a spouse who is typically distracted with work.  I don’t feel seen in our marriage, which confirms my deep-seated fear that I am indeed worthless and invisible.  So even in the most inconsequential of arguments with my spouse, I feel anxious and start to spin every time they are short with me. “

 

          So how the writer sees themselves and not how God sees them begins to alter their reactions in her marriage.  We need to fill our minds with the things of God, or we destroy our relationships.  It’s not easy because I have some horrible thoughts and lies, I believe myself.  I have believed I’m a failure, I believe the part about being worthless and invisible.  I often question how a human could love me and then read God loves me and that’s even harder to comprehend.  I want to end this blog with some verses the You Version had to go with it and a few I’ve added. 

 

Ephesians 1:4-5

 

“Even before He made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy without fault in his eyes.  God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ.  This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure.”

John 1:12

“But to all who believed in Him and accepted Him, He gave the right to become children of God.” 

Romans 8:14-17

“For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God.  So, you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves.  Instead, you received God’s Spirit when he adopted you as his own children.  Now we call him, `Abba Father.’ For his Spirit joins with our spirit to affirm that we are God’s children.  And since we are his children, we are his heirs.  In fact, together with Christ we are heirs of God’s glory.  But if we are to share his glory, we must also share his suffering.

Romans 15:13

“I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in Him.  Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.”

1 Peter 5:7

“Give all your worries and cares to God, for He cares about you.”     

 

 

 

Be Loved by Christy Nockels

Treasure Island by Steven Curtis Chapman

Hurricane by Natalie Grant

How He loves by Jesus Culture

How great is the love by Meredith Andrews

No longer slaves By Bethel

No comments:

Post a Comment