Monday, October 16, 2017

Simplicity

Simplicity 

Did ya hear about the guy who stayed up all night to see what happened?  It finally dawned on him.

Sometimes I think I over complicate this whole blog because I feel the need to bring you a really deep thought.  My dad has this saying about bible studies and sharing the word with people and I have always strived to keep with the saying.  "Putting the cookies on the bottom shelf."  To be accessible if you will.  There are times in the Bible where God simplifies things in math terms down to their "lowest common denominator."  The cookies are down on the bottom shelf and everyone has access to them.  So pass me some of those oatmeal raisin cookies.  Hint those with extra raisins are my favorite if you ever want to give me any.  
  There's a verse that simplifies what God wants from us.  Micah 6:8. "No, O people, the Lord has told you what is good, and this is what he requires of you: to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God."  In a nutshell that is God's will for you and me.  Here's another simple command.  Deuteronomy 6:4-6.  "Listen, O Israel!  The Lord is our God, the Lord alone.  And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength.  And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands I am giving you today."  It's simple God wants you all of you.
Mark 12:29-31 "The most important commandment is this : ' Listen, O Israel! The Lord our God is the one and only Lord.  And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.' The second is equally important: 'Love your neighbor as yourself'. No commandment is greater than these."  



"Your mission should you choose to accept it......."  

Now see I had this blog about ready to post but I had this thought I keep coming back to.  Its the word choice.  When God created humans he gave us the ability to make choices big and small.  Now follow along here.  He could have made us all blissfully unaware of choice to where we automatically sought after him.  But no he didn't. We have the option to choose to love him with all our heart, mind and strength.  Part of that comes from choosing God's gift of salvation through Christ.  Yes salvation is a gift we have to choose to accept.  I have a wife and moment by moment day by day I have to choose to love her just like I have to choose to love God.  "Love is not a feeling its an act of your will."  "Love is a verb."  We should be thankful to God because instead of being mindless drones we have the ability to choose to love him and in giving us that choice it also shows his great love.  





No comments:

Post a Comment