Monday, November 28, 2016

Trust and humility

Lessons are sometimes hard to learn.  There's a saying in my family attributed to my great great great grandmother.  "Convince a Gentry against his will he's of the same opinion still."  I often see online very non biblical statements posted by people who claim to be Christians but their theology is askew.  I did a teaser for this blog on facebook and called it askew theology goes on a boat ride with Jesus.  This is the stuff I'm talking about.  "God give his hardest missions to his strongest soldiers."  Or.  "God would never give me more than I could handle."  Where are these principles in the Bible?  If you study the interactions between Jesus and the disciples there's other lessons to be learned.  God sets up and allows things to teach you to seek Him.  Mark 8:14-21  
"14But the disciples had forgotten to bring any food. They had only one loaf of bread with them in the boat. 15As they were crossing the lake, Jesus warned them, “Watch out! Beware of the yeast of the Pharisees and of Herod.”
16At this they began to argue with each other because they hadn’t brought any bread. 17Jesus knew what they were saying, so he said, “Why are you arguing about having no bread? Don’t you know or understand even yet? Are your hearts too hard to take it in? 18‘You have eyes—can’t you see? You have ears—can’t you hear?’a Don’t you remember anything at all? 19When I fed the 5,000 with five loaves of bread, how many baskets of leftovers did you pick up afterward?”
“Twelve,” they said.
20“And when I fed the 4,000 with seven loaves, how many large baskets of leftovers did you pick up?”
“Seven,” they said.
21“Don’t you understand yet?” he asked them."

He tries to get the disciples attention off food to remind them He can take care of them.  Does your problem seem more than you can handle?  Do you ever think that maybe just maybe it's a chance for you to surrender and trust God?  When you do that it's your strength not His.  Claiming credit for what God did is dangerous!  Follow instead 1 Peter 5:5-7
"5In the same way, you younger men must accept the authority of the elders. And all of you, serve each other in humility, for
“God opposes the proud
but favors the humble.”a
6So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor. 7Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you."
I'm going to be brutally honest with you I have trouble with humbling myself and trusting God to take care of me.  sometimes it's a weekly and daily lesson I have to learn.  living paycheck to paycheck is hard but the way we get hit with bills doesn't make it easier.  I long for the day I can get paid and not have to pay a bill with that paycheck.  I work extra time as often as possible to pick up more money.  The point to all I'm saying is this.  lately when I start worrying about things like money I walk around at work and i see the water in the ship channel, the clouds, birds and animals and I breathe my lungs fill and empty and that's when God reminds me I can take care of you and I desire to but you have to surrender and let me.  Like I said before it's not an easy lesson.  









No comments:

Post a Comment