Friday, April 17, 2015

Word trouble

Lies and flattery are a great evil.  I'm going to make more sense of this for you shortly in scripture.  Before I ever got married and to this day I have had a policy about compliments.  I'm going to give you a real life personal account about compliments and flattery going wrong.  My policy about compliments is this: If you are going to say something nice about someone you dang well better mean it.  God knows your thoughts and your heart and if you don't mean it then you just lied to that person.  Several years back I worked under this lady and I as a rep reported to her.  She once approached me and started this conversation by saying, "Zac that's a really nice shirt you are wearing....." Then she made a request for me to do something.  All she had to do was ask me to do this work related thing.  The compliment was flattery and a lie just to get me to do something and it hurt.  It was at a time in my life people rarely said anything nice to me.  
Let's go back all the way to Genesis 3:1 "The serpent was the shrewdest of all the wild animals the Lord God had made.  One day he asked the woman `Did God really say you must not eat the fruit from any of the trees in the garden?'"  Lies just entered the world.  Fast forward to Exodus 20:16 "You must not testify falsely against your neighbor."  Then we get to Proverbs and Solomon gives us insight to the effects lies have on us and others.  Proverbs 25:18 "Telling lies about others is as harmful as hitting them with an ax, wounding them with a sword, or shooting them with a sharp arrow."  That's very much getting to the point of the matter.  Whoever coined the phrase "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me." was an idiot and needed to be shot in the head with a 2x4 so they would learn the power of words.  Here are some more verses for you about the power of words.  Proverbs 28:18-26 " Just as damaging as a madman shooting a deadly weapon is someone who lies to a friend and then says `I was only joking.' Fire goes out without wood and quarrels disappear when gossip stops.  A quarrelsome person starts fights as easily as hot embers light charcoal or fire lights woods.  Rumors are dainty morsels that sink deep into one's heart.  Smooth words may hide a wicked heart just as a petty glaze covers a clay pot.  People may cover their hatred with pleasant words but they're deceiving you.  They pretend to be kind but don't believe them.  Their hearts are full of many evils.  While their hatred may be concealed by trickery their wrongdoing will be exposed in public."  Watch your words and motives because God is.



As always with this blog just when I think it's ready to post God brings to mind thing that help with communication.  Our lives and words are supposed to reflect Christ.  I fail at this so much and often pray asking God to make me disappear when people look at me so they only see Him.  I'm adding the words to a song we all need to focus our thoughts on and learn from.  This is called Live to Tell by Geoff Moore and the Distance
also included is the actual song.  Live To Tell



We've all heard it said
That actions speak louder than words
And love that is seen
Means much more than love that's just heard
That's the way that is was with our Savior
Whose life told the story of love

Someone was watching
Someone was listening
Dying to know what He knew so well
It helped them believe it
If they could just see it
That's why Jesus lived to tell

Now this is my prayer
Lord, help me to live what I say
For so many times,
I know that my actions betray
Let it be like it was with my Savior
Let my life tell His story of love

Cause someone is watching
Someone is listening
Dying to know what we know so well
It will help them believe it
If in us they see it
That's why we must live...

CHORUS:
I will live to tell
Of the One who has rescued my heart
I will live to tell
Of the One who can bring a new start
Take my life and let it be,
A reflection of You for the whole world to see
The God who is alive and well
I will live to tell

Someone is watching
Someone is listening
Could be your neighbor, your brother, your friend
It will help them believe it
If in you they see Him
So what will you do....

No comments:

Post a Comment