Friday, April 24, 2015

Fear of people.

"Cold, Evil, fear of these are the Dark Side."--Yoda  "Arisia Rrabb you have the ability to overcome great fear. Welcome to the Green Lantern Corps."  Both of these are quotes about fear and conquering it.  I used to fear what people thought about what I did or didn't do.  I would actually lay awake in bed trying to think and predict exactly what would happen in certain conversations.  We live in a society where we fear how we think people will perceive us based on how we look, talk or behave.  Take the fashion and advertising world for example.  If two women show up in the same place with the same dress they freak out about what people will say.  I often post comic book related things on my face book page and become afraid people will be offended.  I used to be very shy about meeting and talking to new people.  Again we're back to the fear of people.  I read this verse this week that floored me because I saw so much of my own fear in it.  Proverbs 29:15 "Fearing people is a dangerous trap, but trusting the Lord means safety."  Look again at the first phrase of that "A dangerous trap."  I'm a Star Wars fan and when I read the word trap i see mentally that famous scene in Return of the Jedi where squadrons of spaceships are flying into a fully functional Death Star and Admiral Ackbar screams "It's a trap."  Fearing people is indeed a trap and it's easy to fall into.  I found myself in it 2 days ago when I was attacked online for voicing my opinion on how to write a good story.  If you read Exodus 3-4 you see Moses over and over telling God why he's afraid of people even to the point of begging God to let Aaron be his mouthpiece in front of Pharaoh.  Also check out Judges 6-7 Gideon is afraid to trust people and to trust God to deliver the Israelis from the land of Midian with only 300 men.  Here's something I always found weird.  As kids we make friends with anybody and for the most part all of us are pretty fearless.  Then those teenage and college years pretty much ruin it for us.  If you suffer from a fear of people like I have I've got some hope for you.  If you're a follower of God I want to show you my favorite verse.  Psalms 18:19 "He led me to a place of safety; He rescued me because he delights in me."  Also look at Matthew 10:26-31 "But don't be afraid of those who threaten you.  For the time is coming when everything that is covered will be revealed, and all that is secret will be made known to all.  What I tell you now in the darkness shout abroad when daybreak comes.  What I whisper in your ear shout from the house tops for all to hear!  Don't be afraid of those who want to kill your body; they cannot touch your soul.  Fear only God who can destroy both body and soul in hell.  What is the price of two sparrows-- one copper coin?  But not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it.  And the very hairs on your head are all numbered.  So don't be afraid: you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows." I'd like you to also look at Romans 8:31 the next time you are near the dangerous trap of fearing people.  "What shall we say about such wonderful things as these"  If God is for us, who can ever be against us."  Next time you start fearing people I want you to follow 1 Peter 5:7 "Give all your worries and cares to God for he cares about you."  As I bring this study to a close I want to draw your attention to 2 passages that though you have read them many times I hope they become real to you.  2 Timothy 1:7 "For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love and self-discipline."  As we cast our cares on God because he cares for us remember this: Hebrews 4:16 "So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God.  There we will receive mercy and we will find grace to help us when we need it most."  














No comments:

Post a Comment