Thursday, April 16, 2015

Conversations with John Schlitt

on Feb 24 Former lead singer of the Christian band Petra asked on facebook how his words or their music had affected people's lives and set up an e-mail account for us his followers to submit messages to.  what follows below is my e-mail to him and his response to me on April 16th.  I think this is so awesome I'm sharing it with all to read.



Mr. Schlitt, You said on your face book page you wanted to hear stories of how you and Petra have influenced our lives.  I'm Zac Gentry and I'm 38 years old my Sister sort of introduced me to your music the first Petra cd i ever got to hear and get my hands on was Beyond Belief.  I have since gotten as many Petra cd's as I can find.  sadly Farewell and Classic Petra have been my two favorite albums.  I say sadly because i wish the band was still writing touring and performing.  I once came so close to getting to be at an actual concert but i had to work that night.  My wife and I both wanted to go to see the Classic Petra lineup.  How have you and the band truly impacted me um this will sound about weird but it's real on my signature of this message you will see 3 web page links the first one is to the Batcave Bible study blog.  3 and 1/2 yrs ago my pastor and the drummer at Real Life Corpus encouraged me to do a small group bible study.  originally it was for people at the church who worked nights like me and it started with me and a couple meeting at Denny's at midnight.  They ended up on different schedules in life.  Then my friend Marion was the only one who signed up.  She has since become my gorgeous wife.  I have introduced her to the music of Petra.  The bible study has since become a blog that at last count is e-mailed to 44 people and is shared on my face book page as well as can be accessed from Google and Blogspot.  With each study i post I share music videos from you tube.  Petra, Geoff Moore and the Distance, and White Heart probably have been shared more times than any bands.  Meredith Andrews, Kerrie Roberts Sandi Patti and Casting Crowns are in competition for those spots.  the study i just posted tonight was started with the verses from Proverbs 8:1-11 and they tied in with Counsel of the Holy.  I'm probably going to be held responsible someday for generating a whole new Petra fan base for you and the guys.  if i had to pick one Petra song that has impacted me most over the course of my life it would have to be I am on the Rock.   the question was have you and Petra influenced my life well to quote Phineas and Ferb "Why Yes, yes you have."  i have an mp3 player that is full of music and a lot it is Petra.  I'm also a fictional writer and i wrote a fictional depiction of spiritual warfare and Back to the Rock and Too Big to Fail were part of the story.  The last cd I bought was Unseen Power. 
Zac Gentry
 
 
 

Here's a link to the story i was telling you about.  Bat Cave : The Swordsman (a fictional depiction of spiritual warfare.)

 
below is his reply

Thank you for sharing your story with me. I know it has been awhile since you shared that, but I have enjoyed reading about the impact God has had over the years through my music and testimony. The credit for all the wonderful things you and others shared is all His!

I must admit to a bit of an ulterior motive in asking for your help. I have been praying for God to show me His plan for the next few years of ministry. The stories I received have helped confirm what I felt He was saying and will play a big role in focusing my time and energies in the coming months. The plan is pretty simple. I want to encourage you and everyone I come in contact with to first seek God with all your heart and make Jesus Christ the Lord of your life. But, second, to encourage you to find the unique gifts God gave you when He created you and use them to serve others as He designed you to do.

We are all unique creations, made to fit into a specific spot in His Kingdom. It is my prayer that you find your spot and complete fulfillment in the joy of knowing you are being exactly the person our loving Father created you to be. I'll be sharing more with you in the coming weeks as God continues leading me along the journey he has planned for me.

In Christ,

No comments:

Post a Comment