Sunday, August 16, 2020

Take

 Take

Humbling, surrendering and trusting God are some of the hardest and most rewarding things a human can do.  Our pride keeps getting in our way.  

If you don’t believe pride gets in your way I’m going to borrow something here from Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson 

“Them that don’t know him won’t like him and them that do sometimes won’t know how to take him he ain’t wrong, he’s just different but his pride won’t let him do things to make you think he’s right.” 

This week Marion and I were in the car listening to this old song by the band Third Day and the lyrics are simple but deep.  

“How many times have I turned away 
The number is the same as the sand on the shore
But every time you’ve taken me back 
And now I pray you do it once more.  

Please take from me my life 
When I don’t have the strength to give it away 

Please take from me my life
When I don’t have the strength to give it away to you Jesus.”

1 Peter 5:6-7
“You younger men, likewise be subject to your elders, and all of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, for God is opposed to the proud but gives grace to the humble.  Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you.”  

Saw this thing posted online this week that said “Does it bother you that you fall asleep while praying at night?  Have you ever seen a child so comfortable they fall asleep in the arms of their Father trusting that he will take care of any problem? We should relate the same way with our Heavenly Father because he has never stopped being in control.”

If you are breathing you will have trouble in life but you can turn to God don’t let foolish pride get in the way.  

I want to conclude with something from Rich Mullins about God’s love and our stupid pride.  

“And when I thought that I was all alone it was your voice I heard calling me back home and I wonder now, Lord what it was that made me wait too long

And what kept you waiting for me all that time was your love stronger than my foolish pride will you take me back now take me back and let me be your child ‘ cause I’ve been broken now I’ve been saved I’ve learned to cry and I’ve learned how to pray and I’m learning I’m learning even I can be changed.”









No comments:

Post a Comment