Thursday, June 18, 2020

The Return

The Return

Growing up on occasion I got to watch a cartoon called Transformers and when coming back from a commercial break it always said “We now return to Transformers.” Part of what I do at my job is fixing problems.  We have a term in the call center business called First Call Resolution.  We try to fix the problem on your first call so you don’t call back or even have the need to.  It trains the representative to in a sense be a control freak.  I get the mindset I have to fix every problem and I can’t.  Saturday I had a long horrible day at work I couldn’t fix all the customers, problems and often I feel like I clean up others' messes in the process.  By the end of my night I had to stop and pray because I was still trying to handle everything and I can’t and I had to turn it over to God. Like the cartoon said we now return to Transformers.  God is the one who transforms us.  Sunday morning I heard Micah preaching and he quoted this passage and it was Jonah’s discovery in the big fish and we need the same thing when our adventures in life go awry.  


Jonah 2:7-9
“While I was fainting away, I remembered the Lord, and my prayer came to you, into your holy temple.  Those who forsake vain idols forsake their faithfulness, but I will sacrifice to you with the voice of thanksgiving.  That which I have vowed I will pay.  Salvation is from the Lord.”

Jonah said all this while inside a fish big enough to swallow a full grown man.  When your problems are overwhelming you need to remember and return to God because you’re not alone.  

Psalm 139:7-12
“Where can I go from your Spirit?  Or where can I flee from your presence?  If I ascend to heaven, you are there;  if I make my bed in Sheol, behold, you are there.  If I take the wings of the Dawn , if I dwell in the remotest part of the sea, even there your hand will lead me, and your right hand will lay hold of me.  If I say ‘Surely the darkness will overwhelm me, and the light around me will be night.’  Even the darkness is not dark to you, and the night is as bright as the day.  Darkness and light are alike to You.”  


There’s nowhere you and I can go where God is not there.

I want to conclude with this from the song Nothing is beyond you by the late Rich Mullins.

“Nothing is beyond you 
You stand beyond the reach
Of our vain imaginations
Our misguided piety
The heavens stretch to hold you
And deep cries out to deep
Singing that nothing is beyond you 
Nothing is beyond you 

Time cannot contain you 
You fill eternity 
Sin can never stain you
And death has lost its sting

And I cannot explain the way you came to love me
Except to say that nothing is beyond you “









No comments:

Post a Comment