Sunday, February 23, 2020

We're helpers

We’re helpers

(you may cry reading this I did relaying part of it to my wife.)

A few years ago I watched this G.I. Joe cartoon and there is a conversation that takes place on one episode and it goes like this.  “Some of em never learn.”  “Nope, some of em never do.  It’s the ones we can help that get us out of bed in the morning.”  That last part is something that personally fuels me.  If you have ever read a Spider-Man comic or watched the movies you know that his motto is “With great power comes great responsibility.”  We as Christians are called to help and love others.  I want to tell you a little about my Tuesday night at work.  See you learn quickly on doing any form of customer service you can’t help everyone.  I had this lady call needing to tow her car.  This is the text I sent Marion.  
“ I can’t help everyone but I got one lady help.  She was going to be stranded in her car overnight and didn’t want to tow the vehicle till she had a way home and was going to have to sleep in her car in 13 degree weather.  I contacted the non emergency police to send a deputy to help her while another agent set up her tow.”
Later on in the night I dealt with a lady who had an autistic son with her she was just needing a tow.  We were limited on the ability to help since she could only be towed to a dealership otherwise she would have to pay.  She had no card to pay and just wanted to get her and her son home.  This lady was crying multiple times during the call.  Now what most of you don’t know is I have a nephew who is autistic.  She said her son wasn’t verbal and he was scared.  She was scared.  She tells me this whole story about how the company she got the car from had basically been rude and verbally abusive to her. They told her because she was on social security and a single mother that she was a nobody.  That angered both me and my supervisor. This call was an emotional roller coaster for me. I did as much as I could to help I was going to walk away till she said she was going to newspapers and social media to complain about this car company.  I went and told my supervisor.  So she came and helped and we found a way to help her.  I set up the tow and called the tow truck company personally and explained the situation.  Things nearly took a turn for the worse because the dealership we were taking the car to was permanently closed as in the facility no longer existed. So I’m getting this info from the dispatcher and we find another location in another city.  He tells me what they’re going to do is tow the vehicle but first they’re going to take the lady and her son to Denny’s near her house and get her an Uber ride so she can get home before they drop off the car.  I get off the phone with him and she called back and another agent transfers her back to me because I’ve become the one who knows everything on the case and she only wants to talk to me.  So I explain to her the plan we have in place and she asks for my name and tells me “You’re the only person at (can’t say the car company name) who has ever been nice to me.”  

You and I we all interact with different people in different ways.  God has given us gifts to use and we may be the only person to have ever been nice to someone else.  We’re on a rescue mission to bring others to Christ.  


Galatians 6:9-10
“Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary.  So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith.  

Proverbs 24:11
“Deliver those who are being taken away to death, and those who are staggering to slaughter, Oh hold them back.”  

2 Peter 3:9
“The Lord is not slow about his promise, as some count slowness but is patient towards you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.”

God has you and I connecting in different ways to people so we can point them to him.  We need to act according to the fruit of the Spirit.  


Galatians 5:22-23
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self control; against such things there is no law.”







No comments:

Post a Comment