Thursday, January 9, 2020

Advocates

Advocates

I currently work at a job where we dispatch roadside assistance for our callers and as representatives on the phone we are advocates for the people because we have to get as much info for the service provider before we dispatch someone to assist the caller.  We have to get the location, problem with the vehicle and what kind of help, in addition to being as detailed as possible.  Because the more information we get the better prepared the service provider can be.  

Advocate though is also a legal term.  If you look in the comics you merely look no further than Daredevil.  His alter ego Matt Murdock is a lawyer by day and a vigilante hero by night.  He helps the helpless.
  
  Before Jesus left the earth he gave his followers another form of advocate.  It’s the Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit is also referred to as a Helper, Spirit of Truth or an Advocate.  

See I went on Bible Hub’s website and typed in advocate and this is some of what I found.  

John 15:26-27
“When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of Truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify about me, and you will testify also because you have been with me from the beginning.”

John 14:16 
“And I will ask the Father and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever.”

John 14:26
“But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.”  

The Christian’s advocate is better than any earthly one. Satan has been called the accuser but we have the Holy Spirit who advocates for us and when we are accused he points right back to the blood of Jesus that washes us clean.  In the definition I found of the word Advocate it is also described as a champion for a particular cause.  Writing this blog I try to be a champion for finding hope in God’s Word.  I had a previous ending to this blog but the more I thought about it well it felt weak.  So I want to end this with a question.  If the Holy Spirit who reminds you and me of Truth is a champion for it are you in turn a champion for pointing others to the cross of Christ are you a champion for Hope because Hope is found in Christ!  Hope is a person who died on the cross to redeem you and me.  







No comments:

Post a Comment