Thursday, September 5, 2019

Remain

Remain

God calls us over and over to remain in him.   I’ve been reading through 1 John and Philippians lately and came across two passages about this.  Knowing and following God is about an ongoing relationship where we are changed by drawing closer to him.  It’s a lot like a marriage in that you have to interact with your spouse.  I can tell you personally when I work a lot and I don’t spend much time with Marion I can feel the disconnect between us.  I don’t always get it right either when I kinda realize I need to talk to her.  It’s the same with prayer and Bible study.  We have to spend time with God to remain with him.

Philippians 1:9-11
“And I pray this: that your love will keep on growing in knowledge and every kind of discernment so that you can determine what really matters most and can be pure and blameless in the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ to the glory and praise of God.”  

Did you see that?  The closer we get to Christ the better we are able to determine what really matters most.  We are also made pure and blameless and exhibit God’s Fruit.  

“Changing of the Heart renewing of the mind it’s the only possible solution.”  Evolution Redefined by Geoff Moore and the Distance 

Also lines up with Romans 12:1-2

But I mentioned there was also another passage.  

1 John 2:24-27
“What you have heard from the beginning must remain in you.  If what you have heard from the beginning remains in you, then you will remain in the Son and in the Father.  And this is the promise that he himself made to us: eternal life.  I have written these things to you about those who are trying to deceive you.  The anointing you received from Him remains in you, and you don’t need anyone to teach you.  Instead, his anointing teaches you about all things, and is true  and is not a lie; just as it has taught you, remain in him.”

Now maybe you’re like me and you get swept up in the busyness of life and need reminders to spend time in God’s Word.  If you’re reading this via email or Facebook well I just delivered some of it to you but perhaps you want more.  We recently had a life group leader’s meeting and Pastor Micah encouraged us to get the Youversion app for our phones.  In some ways the thing makes me feel guilty for not reading as often as I should but this handy app let’s you select the version of the Bible you want and sends you a verse each day.  You also get to set up reading plans with devotional.  It’s extremely handy and helpful.  Another thing I would personally recommend because this blog is set up for the busy person I can suggest a devotional guide quite similar.  Singer, Bible teacher and former co host of the 700 Club Sheila Walsh has a series of I believe she’s up to 3 books now called 5 minutes with Jesus.  They are perfect for a busy person.  I’ve been through the first two books.  This blog is to help people draw closer to God and I’ve just supplied you with three helpful tools.  “And knowing is half the battle!”  







No comments:

Post a Comment