Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Set

Set

I’m not a tennis player my knowledge of the game is getting the ball over the net.  I played a lot of ping pong in college.  There’s a phrase of “Game set and match.”  I know more of this phrase from playing X-Men legends for the ps2.  I looked at some verses and they mentioned the word “Set”. Which brought me to thinking of that phrase.  Will I take up tennis uh yeah no.  Sports are pretty boring to me.  But there is a theme of setting your eyes on things I want you to see. Some of you know I had a rough week.  I found out Thursday last week about 40% of my hearing is gone in both ears.  Sunday I was in intense pain and had to go visit an urgent care.  Our bodies they aren’t gonna last forever. This isn’t our eternal home.  Some days we have to remember that.  Even though we are starting to sound like a bowl of Rice Krispies there is still hope for the Christian because our mission is not over.  When you have days where you relate to the Lifehouse song Broken where they say “I’m falling apart I’m barely breathing.”  Well there’s hope.

2 Corinthians 4:16-18

Therefore we do not lose heart.  Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.  For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory That far outweighs them all.  So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but what is unseen.  For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.”  

I read that about three times before typing it and the first line caught my attention.  “Therefore we do not lose heart.”  It’s a statement not a question.  It ends with a period that gives it more authority.  We’re starting off with a fact.   If you did an outline or a wrestling promo these would be statements leading up to your points you’re going to make.  Bullet points as they are referred.  Paul makes them and then tells us to “fix” or “set”. For the non Texans reading this if a person from Texas tells you they’re “Fixing to” that means they’re getting ready to do something.  

Colossians 3:1-4
“Since, then you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God.” I had to stop because this is another statement of fact and certainty for the Christian.  We’re being told where Christ is and where God is leaving no doubt in the reader’s mind.  This is where they are and you’re about to see why we’re to do what is asked.  Here’s where that word “set” comes back into play.  Also the hope we have.  Weekly dose of Hope, Batcave blog all about hope in God’s Word.  “What is a recurring theme for $500 Alex.”  

“Since, then you have been raised with Christ set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God.  Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.  For you died and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.  When Christ who is your life, appears then you also will appear with him in glory.”

Set your eyes on your future destination on those days when you feel like you aren’t going to make it.  


For those who want extra reading as homework I highly suggest reading Ephesians 2:1-10.  And if you invest the time in the music below you will find part of that passage quoted in Way Beyond the Blue by Steven Curtis Chapman.  Older song of his but very awesome.  The blog is as interactive as you the reader choose to make it.  I refer more to that thought in the next paragraph.  Also the second song link is to the newest single released by the Real Life Worship band.  The blog started at Real Life Corpus Christi Tx where I go to church.  Some of you faithful readers know this and others of you connect elsewhere but people on the worship team in Austin and Corpus worked on this song and released it as a single on ITunes and Amazon if you want to purchase it.  

So the blog got a little extra interactive this week.  I share this when I I can with the World Petra fans Facebook page and I asked them in the group for Petra songs dealing with fixing our eyes on God and on our future in Heaven.  I got a few suggestions so if you see links to more Petra songs than normal I had help.  















No comments:

Post a Comment