Saturday, November 10, 2018

Still here

Still here

Recently Pastor Micah said during a sermon that Philippians is the book of joy.  So I’ve been slowly working through it because hope is associated with Joy and this blog deals heavily with hope.  There’s a section in chapter one that has to me been preached on a lot but I feel there’s a perspective that is often missed.  That perspective is “why are we still here”.  See as Christians we long to go home to Heaven and be with the Lord and that’s not a bad thing.  Before we read the passage I want you to consider the Apostle Paul’s situation.  He’s in jail.  But he continues to write and encourage the churches.  Most of us won’t write anything on a regular basis unless we’re writers.  But here’s a man in chains having every reason to be complaining but instead he’s using the time to encourage.  He brings a sort of paradox in Philippians 1:20-24.  

“For I fully expect and hope that I will never be ashamed, but that I will continue to be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past.  And I trust that my life will bring honor to Christ, whether I live or die.  For to me, living means living for Christ and dying is even better.  But if I live, I can do more fruitful work for Christ.  So I really don’t know which is better.  I’m torn between two desires: I long to go and be with Christ, which would be far better for me.  But for your sakes, it is better that I continue to live.”  

Most preaching I have heard on this talked a lot about wanting to be at home with God in Heaven and that’s a great thing don’t get me wrong.  But I want you to approach for a moment with Paul’s perspective.  Jail isn’t a great place to be for any one.  Maybe that’s not where you are but your situation is grim or bleak.  Maybe you’re just having a bad day.  Maybe you want to be home in Heaven and I don’t blame you one bit.  But you’re still on earth.  So look at it this way.  God has you still here, you’re not dead yet.  One word: Opportunity!  The Westminster shorter Catechism asks students a question.  Q.  What is the chief end of man?  A.  Man’s chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him forever.  See Paul if he were still here on earth God wasn’t done with him so he continued to encourage others.  God still has you here so I bring these questions to you.  Are you drawing closer to God in the meantime and are you pushing people closer to God?  Are you glorifying God in your mortal body?  If not.  What are you waiting for?  Paul and every hero of the faith in the Bible have laid down the gauntlet as it were.  God’s Word is in the Bible and the question is what are you going to do.  Living for Christ is not easy.  Never has been never will be.  Are you leveraging your time and talents God has given you to change the mission field around you?  

Behind the scenes note.  I usually start work on the blog on Mondays when it's slow at my job.  I thought I had the blog all ready to post and today is Saturday.  Then I was working out and listening to my mp3 player when I heard a song that was very new to me.  See sometimes I go to Half Price Books and I personally prefer music sung by a female artist.  Well I had bought this cd by this female trio called Carried Away and I heard one of their songs and paid attention to the lyrics.  I want to show you the reason why I originally bought the cd.  In the liner notes is the groups mission statement.  "We desire to encourage this generation to want more than a mundane life, but rather seek and intimate relationship with God; one that seeks purity and holiness and to realize the temporal things the world offers are nothing in comparison to capturing the heart of God.  We want to challenge ourselves and others to come to the point where, without compromise, we can truly say to Him `I want you'"  That's why I bought the cd and I remember the day we got it I read that to Marion and said "I want to listen to this because of what that says."  





True believers by Phil Keaggy   The guitar work will blow you away.


When all is said and done by Geoff Moore and the Distance  This is the song I long to have played at my funeral.

No comments:

Post a Comment