Saturday, February 24, 2018

Glory to the King

Glory to the King

Years ago I bought this cd by Darlene Zscech and there was this song on it called Glory to the King.  This song is full of references to portions of the book of Psalms.  "You're the father to the fatherless the answer to my dreams I see you crowned in righteousness.  We cry glory to the King.  Comforter to the lonely the lifter of my head I see you veiled in majesty we cry glory glory we cry glory to the King."  You can find the basis for the part about "father to the fatherless" in Psalms 68:3-6 which are beautiful promises of God.  "But let the godly rejoice.  Let them be glad in God's presence.  Let them be filled with joy.  Sing praises to God and to his name!  Sing loud praises to him who rides the clouds.  His name is the Lord-- rejoice in his presence!  Father to the fatherless, defender of widows-- this is God whose dwelling is holy.  God places the lonely in families; he sets the prisoners free and gives them joy.  But he makes the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land."  The part about being the "lifter of my head" can be found in Psalms 3:3-4 "But you, O Lord, are a shield around me; you are my glory, the one who holds my head high.  I cried out to the Lord, and he answered me from his holy mountain."  I bring up these names of God, passages and portions of a song for a few reasons.  My wife and I don't really fit the mold of life groups at church.  I work nearly six days a week.  We don't get to meet with groups face to face like other people do.  She doesn't drive and uses public transportation.  It says God puts the lonely in families.  Many of you who are readers of this blog well you're busy too and you've made your way to this as a way to connect when you can't seem to do so with other groups.  Guess what God put you here for a reason in a unique type of family of believers.  It's no accident.  "As far as accidents go you'll always be my favorite one."  Sorry minor Zac joke quoting random things.  There have been times over the years that I personally have prayed for Christian friends to spend time with.  God has put specific people in both Real Life Corpus Christi and in Lakeview Baptist(my dad is the pastor) who have become our family of friends.  We don't spend time with them often but I know people because of God's love I can turn to who will pray for us.  There have also been times where I have been so depressed that I have turned to God and he has been the lifter of my head.  Years ago when my life group started it was at Denny's at midnight and the first night it was me and this nurse named Dona and it was my third time ever in any kind of teaching attempt (honestly I didn't know how to lead anyone out of a paper bag) and I brought a short Bible study on God being the Lifter of our Head.  See follow me here.  When you run to God he lifts your head gets your focus off of you and back on him.  

Tenth Avenue North gives this beautiful description of that in their song By Your Side.  Side note when my grandma passed away this song was what got me focused back on God when my heart was breaking.  Second side note my dog of 12 years passed away this week I lost a dear friend and this week has been a struggle. 

 "Why are you striving these days? Why are you trying to earn grace?  Why are you crying?  Let me lift up your face just don't turn away. Why are you looking for love?  Why are you still searching as if I'm not enough?  To where will you go child?  Tell me where will you run, to where will you run?  
Cause I'll be by your side wherever you fall.  In the Dead of night whenever you call.  And please don't fight these hands that are holding you.  My hands are holding you."  

I don't know what struggles you're facing but maybe you're like me and you need a good reminder of who God is and how much he cares for you.  I sure did.





No comments:

Post a Comment