Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Look to God

In light of all the tragedies of late I know hope can feel like a four letter word.  Any attempt I make to offer you hope is going to feel clumsy and uncaring.  At church Sunday I was very much impressed that with the blog we need to get our eyes back on God and praise him.  I'm not going to say much this week I don't even feel like it would be right if I did.  Pastor Greg was telling us this story Sunday morning about taking his son to Fort McHenry where they saw the site where Francis Scott Key (a great hero of mine) wrote the Star Spangled Banner and I love this land more than most realize.  Two granddads,  my dad, my uncle, and brothers-in-law, and sister-in-law have been in various branches of the military.  I have family and friends also in the police force.  I turn your attention to the fourth and most overlooked verse of our national anthem.  If you have a baptist hymnal it shows up as the second verse but according to the USA flag site it's one of four verses.
Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war’s desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav’n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: “In God is our trust.”
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

I'm leaving you with one simple chapter and then in the terms of a country church boy we're going to have a good old singing and the songs will have purpose and comfort and hopefully fix our eyes on God.  Hopefully some songs will be to your liking.  
Psalm 121
1I look up to the mountains—
does my help come from there?
2My help comes from the LORD,
who made heaven and earth!
3He will not let you stumble;
the one who watches over you will not slumber.
4Indeed, he who watches over Israel
never slumbers or sleeps.
5The LORD himself watches over you!
The LORD stands beside you as your protective shade.
6The sun will not harm you by day,
nor the moon at night.
7The LORD keeps you from all harm
and watches over your life.
8The LORD keeps watch over you as you come and go,
both now and forever.














































No comments:

Post a Comment