Monday, January 5, 2015

Psalms 119:129-136

I love it when I'm reading something in the Old Testament and see it in the New Testament as well.  I was reading Psalms 119 and even though it is the longest chapter in the Bible I believe there are lessons to be found in a chapter that to some can be daunting.  

129-130.  "Your laws are wonderful, no wonder I obey them.  The teaching of your word gives light so even the simple can understand."  God wants us to understand his word.  Look at 1 Corinthians 1:17-18 "For Christ didn't send me to baptize, but to preach the Good News--and not with clever speech, for fear that the Cross of Christ would lose it's power.  The message of the Cross is foolish to those who are headed for destruction!  But we who are being saved know it is the very Power of God."  Unbelievers think following God and admitting he exists is foolishness.  I remember multiple times attempting to witness to our neighbor and he would tell them he was an intelligent man and he didn't believe and his scientific mind would not allow him to believe God existed and he had no need for a savior.  God does exist and we do need him!
131.  "I pant with expectation, longing for your commands."  Inside a follower of God is a desire to learn from God and draw closer to their Savior.
132.  "Come and show me your mercy, as you do for all who love your name."  Take a quick look at Lamentations 3:22-23 The faithful love of the Lord never ends!  His mercies never cease.  Great is his faithfulness his mercies begin afresh each morning."  Aren't we glad of that?  
133.  "Guide my steps by your word so I will not be overcome by evil."  Earlier in this chapter is another verse about God's word guiding us.  Psalms 119:105 "Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path."  I've shared this once before but i want to remind you and say it for those who haven't heard it.  My wife Marion is legally blind and I have the privilege and responsibility to be her guide.  On our first date she revealed this to me and asked me to hold her hand and guide her.  God wants to guide us but we have to be willing.  God's word is also similar to a Way Finders stone.  It's a fictional item you attach to your shoe and it lights your steps along with pointing you in the right direction.
134.  "Ransom me from the oppression of evil people; then I can obey your commandments."  Maybe you're like me and you don't work in the most God-fearing place and you need time away with God.  
135.  "Look upon me with love; teach me your decrees."  We all should desire this.  
136.  "Rivers of tears gush from my eyes because people disobey your instructions."  This is why i get mad at face book and the TV.  I don't understand the absolute disrespect people have for God.  



The Steadfast Love of the Lord by Kathy Troccoli Kathy Troccoli - The Steadfast Love


I am the Lighthouse by The New Gaither Vocal Band Gaither Vocal Band - I Am The Lighthouse

  
Thy Word by Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith Michael W. Smith & Amy Grant - Thy Word - [Live]




I couldn't quite find the new version of this song but this was something i meant to put on my last blog and forgot.  Another time and Another Place by Sandi Patty and Wayne Watson Sandi Patty and Wayne Watson



No comments:

Post a Comment