Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Who are you

I wanted to do a certain bible study not strictly on Psalms.  It's one I think we all need from time to time.  I'm sure at some point you have seen or been around someone who was watching CSI the original show.  The theme song is done by the Who no I'm not an owl that's the name of the band.  The song asks "who, who are you."  If you asked Peter Parker he'd tell you he was Spider-Man.  If I asked James Howlett Logan(Wolverine) he'd tell me in a gruff voice "I'm the best there is at what I do and what I do isn't always pretty."  If I asked Hal Jordan he would say He's the Green Lantern of space sector 2814.  If I went thru the WWE locker room I wouldn't get real names I'd get things like Heartbreak Kid, Great Khali, Trish Stratus, The Rock, Edge, Big Show, Triple H and many more.  Bully Ray Dudley asks Impact wrestling fans each week "Do you know who I am?"  maybe it's time in light of God's word as followers of the King of Kings the God of all Creation maybe it's time to find out who we are. 
  Now as to who you are not because people in public schools will tell you that you evolved from an ape like creature.  Now Christian singer Geoff Moore summed this up well "It takes a lot of faith to say we're accidents of nature but I believe we are the work of a loving Creator."  Genesis 1:1 says "In the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth."  Get it in your head God created you.  You did not evolve.  1:27 says "So God created human beings in his own image."  In Genesis 3 Adam and Eve sin dooming the entire human race.  Fast Forward to the book of John chapter 3 verse 16.  "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believes on him would not perish but have eternal life."  So now that you have believed on the Lord Jesus Christ let's see where that puts you.  John 17:10 This is Jesus praying for his disciples and you.  "All who are mine belong to you, and you have given them to me, so they bring me glory."  You bring God glory and you belong to him.   my dad has described it this way in sermons you are in Jesus hands and God's hands are over His. You are loved. see John 15:9-11 need another example see Romans 5:8.  the world is full of songs about love but all we need to do is seek God's word to see the truth of a God who loved us so much He sent his only son to die for us.  If you spend any length of time you will also discover in Psalms that God's love is referred to as unfailing repeatedly.  In John 15:15 Jesus continues by calling us friends.  I admit that was hard for me to accept.  for years.  There's a song that says "I am a friend of God he calls me friend."  The song was hard for me to sing I could get in my head words like Savior and Creator but friend that was a new one.  This all brings us to where we are at any given day.  Ephesians 2:4-5 says we are saved by grace alone given by God.  we can't earn salvation it is a gift.  Verse 6 goes on to say we are raised from the dead and presently seated with him in heavenly places.  Think about that for a minute no really think about it and close your eyes and visualize yourself not in your current location but actually in heavenly places on your knees before the throne room of God.  I don't know about you but that blows my mind.  Ephesian 6:10-17 says you are a knight waging war against the powers of darkness in the full armor of God.  But in this war you are not alone.  There's a guy named Joshua and he was sent to war but guess what he was told.  "This is my command ---Be strong and courageous!  do not be afraid or discouraged.  For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."  Guess what He's with you too.  in Romans 8:37 it says this "No despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ who loved us."  We are overcomers.  We are empowered read Philippians 4:13  We are forgiven read Romans 10:9-13.  We are surrounded by those gone before us cheering us on Hebrews 12:1-2.    Geoff Moore summed this up in his album Home Run comparing life to a baseball game and there are literally Christians past and present watching us and cheering us on.  you are part of a royal priesthood see 1 Peter 2:9.  you are called to be set apart read 2 Corinthians 6:17.  Matthew 5 refers to us as being salt and light and like a city on a hill.  we are to reflect God.  I often pray that when people look at me that God will make anything that is of Zac disappear and let only Him be seen because without Him I am nothing.  
  We're going to get to Psalms 139 soon and you're going to get an even better picture of who you are.  
  I'm leaving you with homework Read Romans 8 the whole chapter to help you see who you are.  
 
       As I was typing this all up a song was playing on my mp3 player and in light of all we've studied here I think this song is as appropriate maybe more so than some of the others I've chosen.  this is an old hymn that no matter how many times I hear it I'm still blown away.  This is I stand Amazed in the presence by Chris Tomlin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diyNTi5IR4g 
 
This is one of mine and Marion's favorite songs and I think you'll agree.  Jesus paid it all by Kristian Stanfill http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brVIlXlJRkQ
 
This is one of my dad's favorite songs let it spur you towards being faithful to God because others are watching you and some are even cheering you on.  This is an old song called Find us Faithful by Steve Green http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rn6Of5sIXU
 
2 days ago I was driving to work when I heard this song and it was just so humbling.  the lyrics talk about all the things God has done and then just floor you with the statement "But you chose to be Savior to me."  this is Savior to me by Kerrie Roberts http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_8VvnPMyOg
 
These next 2 songs deal with what I was referring to in Ephesians 2 where we are raised with Christ and being brought to Heavenly places.  Heaven of my Heart by Whiteheart http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbYP_vvSkjY  and Way beyond the blue by Steven Curtis Chapman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy1og9yELq8 
 
Just songs here to remind you of God's great love for you.  There's a story behind this first song one day back when Marion and I were still dating we were riding in the car and I asked her if she do sign language to it.  She learned the entire song and still to this days signs when we hear it.  How Great is the Love by Meredith Andrews http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhIZlNHpm6U  There are 2 versions of this next song some prefer Davi Crowder's version but this was the first I ever heard and I have always preferred a woman's voice over a man's plus she keeps the original lyrics.  How He loves by Kim Walker Smith http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoC1ec-lYps  If you have never heard either of these songs you should.   a Reminder that God's love never fails.  One thing Remains by Jesus Culture http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtmA3ji8RkY and Your love never fails by Jesus Culture http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoezWBPGRAc
 
We will overcome.  Overcome by Desperation Band http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJvqQjaz87I
 
Finally a touch of Joshua's courage in song.  Courageous by Casting Crowns http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

No comments:

Post a Comment