Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Sparrow Missile

 

Sparrow missile 

 

I don’t blog as much as I used to.  I struggle at times with a sense of purpose and direction.  I recently finished writing a story where I channeled a lot of my emotions into one character.  I find myself often switching what I listen to and read to get my eyes fixed back on God.  Problems in life will overwhelm you.  Like Robin the Boy Wonder asked “Why isn’t anyone just whelmed?  It’s always over or underwhelmed.”  Life can at times come at you like a sparrow missile.  But here’s the thing instead of a weapon I needed to be reminded this week what God has done for the birds.  Sometimes we need to look up and remember that the stars, the sky, the sun, and moon aren’t there by accident.  They don’t even fly off into space.  There’s a God in control and he’s taking care of all of this, and he can take care of you and me.  I read two verses Saturday night that got me off my stinking thinking and directed me back to God because I needed to remember that God takes care of the sparrow and the swallow.  Two little birds!  Maybe just maybe you need to look at them too.  

 

Psalm 84:3-4

 

“Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young—

A place near your altar, O Lord Almighty, my King, and my God 

Blessed are those who dwell in your house; they are ever praising you.”  

 

It referred to the birds finding a place for a nest near God’s altar.  That brought something to mind that I hadn’t thought about in some years.  I used to go to Zephyr Baptist Encampment at least once a year for youth camp and there was a building where we met for church services called the tabernacle.  This building had bird nests everywhere.  Now here’s verses years before about birds being near God’s altar and years later a place of worship surrounded by bird’s nests.  Yeah, I don’t think that escaped God’s attention at all.  At my job I walk around with Christian music playing directly into my hearing aids while I’m verifying that buildings are locked singing loudly not caring that anyone can hear.  I’m pretty sure God notices that.  If you’ve ever watched the movie the Highlander in it the Immortals can’t fight on Holy Ground.    Sometimes we need to remember where we are with those sparrows and swallows flying around that can actually be Holy Ground.  Maybe there’s not a church or an altar around but we can still pray and sing to God, and we can turn that place into Holy Ground.  Maybe you need to be like that crazy security guard who’s walking around a college campus in the wee hours of the morning singing.  Because I think the best way to end this is would be……..

 

“O, Praise the name of the Lord our God.  

O, praise his name forevermore. 

For endless days we will sing Your praise 

O Lord, O Lord, our God.”  

 

 

 

With everything by Hillsong 

O, praise the name by Hillsong 

God is faithful by Sheila Walsh

Blessed be your name by Rebecca St James

 

No comments:

Post a Comment