Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Day by Day

Day by Day

 

Recently I posted on Facebook that there’s a conversation at the end of Rambo First Blood part 2 that I very much relate to lately.  Colonel Trautman asks Rambo after his long one-man war and rescue of the POWs.  “How will you live, John?”  “Day by Day.”  Sometimes all we can do is live day by day seeking God in prayer.  

 

I work a strange night’s schedule 2 eight hour shifts with 2 12 hour shifts between them then 3 days off.  Recently a lot of things happened at work.  But before I tell you about that you need to get a mild amount of background.  I’m not complaining about it, just stating facts.  So, one of the guards backed the golf cart we use into a vehicle.  Our main boss took away golf cart privileges from everyone.  Now we walk all over campus where I work.  I had one of the dispatchers tell me to my face I was too slow.  I seriously almost got mad at him.  Then I thought about it.  I’m 46 years old.  I walk with a limp due to having one leg longer than the other because of growth hormone deficiency from birth.  I’m diabetic.  Every building we walk to has a different key we must locate among many keys.  If I’m slow I’m sorry.  I can run very fast to disarm buildings.  I wasn’t even mad because I was giving my best.  By the time you go through a 12-hour shift and I talk to this dispatcher I’m usually exhausted.  I want to tell you about some changes though.  I started the job in October.  I am still learning new things.  Recently one guard my friend Stephen quit for another job.  He and I worked well as a team.  Then another guard got fired for coming to work very drunk.  Well, we hired a new guard since then.  Suddenly the dispatcher who called me slow is treating me like a very valuable team member.  Also, I have been praying a lot on the way to work for the safety of my coworkers.  They can’t stop me because I’m in my car.  

 

On Monday nights I’m usually extremely exhausted after walking Friday-Sunday.  Well, I showed up for work this Monday night and I had told my friend Abbey and only her.  “I’m tired and hurting and exhausted.”  When you get to the point where you’re taking a 12-hour Aleve to get you through work because your legs hurt so bad, and your knees keep popping it’s about to be a long night at work.  I love my job.  I like what I do but it can wear you down.  Well, I showed up to work and the same dispatcher who called me slow asked me when the last time he made me a rover.  I didn’t remember either.  So I got to do fire watch all night.  Basically, you sit in a building all night and call in every hour making sure there’s no trouble.  I can do that.  It gave my body a chance to rest, and I was thankful to God for that rest.  I texted my mom and my friend Abbey and told them I was grateful to God for a chance to rest and not walk so much.  God provided.  

 

Psalm 71:3 asks this of God.

 

“Be my rock of refuge to which I can always go; give the command to save me, for you are my Rock and my Fortress.”  

 

Philippians 4:19

 

“And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.”

 

Romans 8:28

 

“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him and have been called according to His purpose.”  

 

Psalm 23:1-3

 

“The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not be in want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures.  He leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul.  He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.”  

 

See God provided me some recovery time to give him the glory.  

 

God is faithful by Sheila Walsh 

Tell me again by Geoff Moore and the Distance 

Psalm 23 by Kathy Troccoli 

No comments:

Post a Comment