Thursday, February 9, 2023

Brute Beast

 

Brute beast 

 

In the comics and the 80’s Tv show Robert David Bruce Banner was always attempting to separate himself from the Incredible Hulk.  At times he was actually able to purge himself from his raging alter ego.  In He-Man Revelations there is a moment where Prince Adam separates himself from He-Man and just becomes this savage beast.  If we let our emotions get the best of us, we become no different.  We function on instinct and stupidity.  It’s those times especially when we are emotionally messed up that we need to seek God and reconnect.  If you’re confused by this comparison, I’m making I’m about to show you in scripture why I connected with it in the way I did.  My brain goes to comics and cartoons but these verses will make sense in a moment why I mentioned the Hulk and Savage He-Man and it’s because there are so many facets to us as humans.  

 

Psalm 73:21-28

 

“When my heart was grieved and my spirit embittered, I was senseless and ignorant; I was a brute beast before you.  Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand.  You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory.  Whom have I in Heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you.  My flesh and my heart may fail but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.  Those who are far from you will perish; you destroy all who are unfaithful to you.  But as for me, it is good to be near God.  I have made the sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds.”  

 

The Psalmist Asaph described us when consumed by emotions to be like a brute beast.  It’s like the Hulk separated from Banner.  Recently my dog got an ear infection and I’ve been having my mom as well as a friend of mine try to help me with giving Arisia ear drops.  Dogs don’t like it at all and they become like a brute beast.  I basically have to pin her down to be able to have someone else give her the ear drops.  Sometimes when we’re emotionally messed up God has to go to the extreme to get us to pay attention to Him.  I love how this whole passage ends though because once we stop fighting and pay attention God is right there trying to teach us. 

 

Who am I by Point of Grace 

At your feet by Casting Crowns  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment