Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Passion

 

Passion

 

I have a friend named Will who made a statement one time after seeing me do this as a blog video on Facebook.  He said, “Gentry needs to become a famous preacher and make lots of money.”  Money would be nice but I’m not out to be a preacher or become famous.  There are people who become famous by sharing stuff online and that’s their goal.  I’m passionate about a lot of things but that’s not one of them.  Once my dad was even asked if I was going to become a preacher like him.  Public speaking has never been my thing.  He actually gave a response that today still humbles me because I don’t think I can live up to it.  He said “If he does decide to I’ve given him all the tools he needs to do so.”  I never even considered I possessed the toolbox that the tools he gave me fit in.  When I started to do this small group Bible study thing, I simply wanted there to be an option for people who worked nights to study God’s Word with someone else in the wee hours of the morning.  That was it!  I thought the church had missed an opportunity.  I still do.  At one point I even said, “We’re going to find out how to glorify God.”  Someone responded by saying I was taking things too seriously.  Now this has turned into an online blog and video, and I’m still shocked by that because it was something only God could make happen.   I don’t want to be a preacher I just want to share God’s Word and hope with others.  When I write a lot of times, I relate to this song by Anna Nalick called Breathe

 

“2 am, and I’m still awake, writing a song

If I get it all down on paper, it’s no longer 

Inside of me, threatening the life it belongs to

And I feel like I’m naked in front of the crowd 

‘Cause these words are my diary, screaming out loud

And I know that you’ll use them however you want to.”

 

I share what God lays on my heart and it’s never easy.  People could make fun of me at any time.  I don’t much care.  What I’m trying to do doesn’t always even make sense.  But I rely on God to get me through a video or a blog.  

 

1 Corinthians 9:16

 

“Yet, preaching the good news is not something I can boast about.  I am compelled by God to do it.  How terrible for me if I didn’t preach the good news.”  

 

That verse is part of why I keep going and continue the mission.   Here’s another one that I have seen come true many times.

 

Ephesians 3:20-21

 

“Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.  Glory to Him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever. Amen!”

 

See God can do more with me sharing his word than I could ever hope or imagine.  I have to show up and be willing.  If you think God can’t use, you then you need to show up and be willing and see what He will do with you because really it’s all about Him and not you.  Like my old life group leader would say “I am not but I know I Am.”  God introduced himself to Moses a person with a speaking problem as the great I Am.  God created you he can use you.  If God can make a donkey talk and hang the moon in orbit then he can use a comic book reading, video game playing, pro wrestling watching, jabroni like me.  I have said often I write these things a little like a wrestling promo and yes, I just ended it that way because I’ve been glancing at the moon most of my shift for the past few nights at work marveling at God’s creation.  I kept telling myself before even reading my Bible that somehow a blog was going to come back to looking at the moon.  

 

 

 

Here I am by Rebecca St James

You are I Am by Mercy Me

Because you are by Point of Grace 

No comments:

Post a Comment