Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Mooned

 

Mooned

 

Honestly, I wasn’t going to do a blog for this upcoming week.  This may not be much of one anyway.  A few nights ago, I was heading to work.  I work nights in pretty much the middle of nowhere.  It’s like the directions my dad used to give for going to one of the churches he used to pastor.  “You go to the uttermost part of the earth and turn back three miles.”  I kinda get made fun of by coworkers for taking the long way to work because I’m not a fan of driving on the freeway.  What most people in Corpus Christi don’t know is after a certain time of night the city does road construction on the freeway making travel much more difficult.  So there I was driving to work and I got out beyond the city lights and I could see the moon over the water in the ship channel.  Now what some of you don’t know is this.  Recently I was told by my wife Marion that I’m too grumpy and angry all the time.  Been trying to work on that by working through a Bible reading plan about joy.  So, I saw the moon over the water and the reflection.   This morning I was thinking again about that moment because as I had been driving, I actually asked Siri to text Marion and tell her “The moon looks awesome over the water tonight.”  It was a little thing.  And I thanked God and I told Him it looked amazing and beautiful.  It’s been said that Rich Mullins was the singer that brought Christianity to life for some people because he lived out his faith and so did his lyrics.  I want to share with you some from his song called The Color Green.  Green is my favorite color being as I’m a huge fan of the Green Lantern comics.  So, these are the lyrics from the song. 

 

“And the moon is a sliver of silver 

Like a shaving that fell on the floor of a carpenter’s shop

And every house must have it’s builder

And I awoke in the house of God

Where the windows are mornings and evenings

Stretched from the Sun

Across the sky north to south 

And on my way to early meeting 

I heard the rocks crying out 

I heard the rocks crying out

 

Be praised for all your tenderness by these works of your hands

Suns that rise and rains that fall to bless and bring to life your land

Look down upon this winter wheat and be glad that you have made

Blue for the sky and the color green that fills these fields with praise.”  

 

To understand why these lyrics, mean so much to what I was talking about regarding the moon is this.  The first line talks about the moon being “a sliver of silver like a shaving that fell on the floor of a carpenter’s shop.”  Jesus was a carpenter he also existed one with God at creation.  He saw and was part of the moon being created.  Then later the song talks about winter wheat.  I work at a grain terminal we are actually getting winter wheat brought in by trucks.  We are about to start a new year and maybe you need to remember where this whole world all started and thank him for the moon.  

 

Genesis 1:1-5

 

“In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.  The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters.  Then God said ‘Let there be light’; and there was light.  God saw that the light was good, and God separated the light from the darkness.  God called the light day and the darkness he called night.  And there was evening and there was morning, one day.”

 

In Genesis 1:16-18 he goes on to create the sun and moon and separate them to create night and day.  Be thankful for what God has made.  

 

 

The Color Green by Rich Mullins 

 

All I need is you by Adie

No comments:

Post a Comment