Thursday, February 18, 2021

Be the Church

 

Be the Church

 

          A few years back at Real Life Corpus Christi there was a sermon series called Be the Church.  See the Christian church was never meant to be just a building where people meet.  It’s meant to be made up of believers who go out and live out God’s word.  Between Monday through Wednesday of this week Texas has been hit by the worst cold weather in a very long time.  But I want to tell you about what has happened to Marion and I and our dog Pumpkin.  We lost power then it came back and went off again along with the running water.  After the second time we grabbed clothes and the dog and went to my parents’ house.  A normal 45 minute drive took about an hour and a half because freeways were closed.  We stayed 2 and a half days with my parents and 2 of their church members and my sister and her family.  A total of 10 people and 5 dogs.  They lost power on Tuesday My Dad got a generator working and we had a small cabin that ran on propane, My Dad and Mr. Daryl left multiple times and checked on other members of their church family.  My Brother-in-law Lance got gas for the generator.  Dad and I ran wire for it.  Peggy and Marion helped my mom in the kitchen.  My sister and her daughter helped my mom with food.  I got messages from our friends Patrick and Carolyn and my friend Ryan checking up on Marion and I.  Church changed from being a place to being people who cared and helped.  The whole event brought me to these verses I want to show you because through all this I want to encourage you to Be the Church.  At one point I caught myself complaining about the situation and I realized how stupid and selfish I was being.  We were all in a situation where we could help one another.  Not a day goes by that we shouldn’t be capable of learning that lesson.  We all helped each other in some way.    

Galatians 6:2-3 

          ‘Share each other’s burdens and in this way obey the law of Christ.  If you think you are too important to help someone you are only fooling yourself.  You are not that important.”

Galatians 6:9-10

          “So let’s not get tired of doing what is good.  At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up.  Therefore, whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone—especially to those in the family of faith.” 

“A heart to God and a hand to man here begins the healing of our land.”

 

 

 

Hand inHand by Degarmo and Key

Love in anylanguage by Sandi Patty

My offeringby Union of Sinners and saints

Love by Petra

Heart toGod, Hand to man by Geoff Moore and the Distance

We Will stand by Russ Taff 

No comments:

Post a Comment