Thursday, March 14, 2019

Times

Times

I was reading a few nights ago in the book Five minutes with Jesus by Sheila Walsh and she brought up Psalm 31:14-15 and was talking about how we can trust God because of these verses.

Psalm 31:14-15
“But I trust in you O Lord; I say ‘You are my God.’  My times are in your hands; deliver me from my enemies and from those who pursue me.  

After looking it up the verses brought me to Job 14:5 thanks to reference notes in my Bible.  “Man’s days are determined; you have decreed the number of his months and have set limits he cannot exceed.”  

If you spend any time at all with any form of science fiction you learn we as humans are consumed by an obsession with time.  Look at how many clocks and microwaves and TVs that all have some form of a timepiece on it.  But if you look at these verses it reminds us God is still in control and exists outside of the constraints of what we think of as being controlled by aspects of time.  It’s a comfort really to know there’s one less thing to worry about.  God’s already taken care of your problems and mine in times past, present and future.  In the meantime he wants our focus on him.  Fix your eyes on the One who holds all of time and eternity in his hands.  

Psalm 139:1-12 

“O Lord, you have searched me and know me.  You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.  You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.  Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely O Lord.  You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.  Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.  Where can I go from your spirit?  Where can I flee from your presence?  If I go up to the heavens you are there; if I make my bed in the depths , you are there.  If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.  If I say ‘Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,' even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.”  

That last part about darkness becoming as light as day I can relate to.  I work as a security guard and I used to patrol the site I work on at night.  We are right near the Valero refinery so I see a lot of flare ups when they burn off stuff.  One night in particular I was halfway down the parking lot it was pitch black and all I had was my flashlight and walking stick.  The refinery flared up so bright I could see clearly for miles.  It looked like instead of midnight it had suddenly become 12 noon!  Nothing hides from God’s view.  Not time not sin not anything he sees it all.  Your times are in his hands.  Are you wasting time or seeking Him?








No comments:

Post a Comment