Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Like Incense

Like incense 

A lot of music in churches comes directly from scripture and I love it when I’m reading in the Bible and come across the verses where the song lyrics originated because it reminds me that people who claim they can’t memorize scripture can somehow sing it and not realize they just did something they claimed they couldn’t do.  

This morning I was reading Psalm 141 and I knew the words seemed familiar.  141:1-2 “O Lord, I call to you; come quickly to me.  Hear my voice when I call to you.  May my prayer be set before you like incense; may the lifting of my hands be like the evening sacrifice.”

See there is a song by Hillsong called Like Incense/ Sometimes by Step.  It’s a mix of these verses you just read and part of Psalm 63:1 “O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you in a dry and weary land where there is no water.”  The whole song is about seeking God’s face and repeating prayer and scripture back to him.  

I want you to view the song in light of the scriptures you’ve just read.

“May my prayer rise like incense before you
The lifting of my hands a sacrifice 
Oh Lord Jesus turn your eyes upon me
For I know there is mercy in your sight

Your statutes are my heritage forever 
My heart is set on keeping your decrees 
So still my anxious urge toward rebellion 
And let love keep my will on its knees

Oh God you are my God and I will ever praise you”

See praising God and remembering scripture changes our thoughts and hearts.  I posted a verse in the blog about a week ago and I feel it bears repeating because in its simplicity it should be a daily prayer for the believer.  

Psalm 119:133 “Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me.”  

I have added other songs straight from scripture and those are Psalm 1, Micah 6:8, Psalm 139 and Nothing is beyond you and Let our Voices Rise.  













No comments:

Post a Comment