Saturday, September 15, 2018

Still useful

Still useful 

Sometimes my brain latches on to things.  We as humans are often stupid and make bad decisions.  Traffic in Corpus Christi can be a good example of that.  In the book of Judges you can find the story of Samson.  This guy messed up almost as many times as Peter did.  In Judges 13:6-7 we learn of what he was supposed to be.  “The woman ran and told her husband, ‘A man of God appeared to me!  He looked like one of God’s angels, terrifying to see.  I didn’t ask where he was from, and he didn’t tell me his name.  But he told me, ‘You will become pregnant and give birth to a son.  You must not drink wine or any alcoholic drink nor eat any forbidden food.  For your son will be dedicated to God as a Nazirite from the moment of his birth until the day of his death.’”  

Samson was a guy that messed up a lot but I want to show you something that my brain missed so many times reading before because Samson as flawed as he is somehow ends up doing what he is supposed to and it defies all logic.  He’s like Captain Kirk on Star Trek the Wrath of Kahn.  Samson just looks like he’s on a collision course with stupidity.  

Judges 14:1-4 “One day when Samson was in Timnah, one of the Philistine women caught his eye.  When he returned home, he told his father and mother.  ‘A young Philistine woman in Timnah caught my eye.  I want to marry her.  Get her for me.’  His father and mother objected.  ‘Isn’t there even one woman in our tribe among all the Israelites you could marry?’  They asked.  ‘Why must you go to the pagan Philistines to find a wife?’  But Samson told his father.  ‘Get her for me!  She looks good to me.’  His father and mother didn’t realize the Lord was at work in this, creating an opportunity to work against the Philistines, who ruled over Israel at the time.”

Now my first thing I want to say here and I speak from personal pain and experience when your family and friends warn you about a man or woman you’re interested in and tell you to stay away.  Do it!  Stay away!  Samson was about to embark on a path of destruction.  

Now that being said I am also in no way shape or form condoning or encouraging Samson’s approach to getting a mate.  If women complain about men now they would have plenty more reasons to complain about his attitude.  

But here’s what caught my attention reading this.  In verse four it says his parents didn’t realize God was at work in this.  So here’s a guy being stupid and making bad decisions and somehow God uses it.  You yeah you the reader I’m talking to you directly.  God used David, Peter, Gideon, Sarah, Abraham, Jacob, Elijah, Jonah and more they made bad choices like you and me.  God in his mercy used them still.  The question is with all your mistakes and mine and so much we’ve been forgiven of are you still willing to repent turn to God and like Isaiah say “Here Am I Lord send me.”  

Samson is a redemption story.  The Philistines meant so much harm and did so much wrong to him and the nation of Israel but God used it for his glory.  It reminds me of the story of Joseph in Genesis 45 when he reveals his identity to his brothers because all the harm his brothers did to him God ended up using it for good.  

See with all our sins and mistakes God ends up using us as flawed as we are to show our need for salvation and redemption.  


Years ago David Meece said it correctly in revealing our need for a savior.

“And we were the reason that he gave his life.  We were the reason that he suffered and died.  To a world that was lost he gave all he could give to show us the reason to live.  
I finally found the reason for living it’s in giving every part of my heart to him.  In all that I do and every word that I say I’ll be giving my all just for him.  For him.”  









No comments:

Post a Comment