Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Assurance

  Assurance is a wonderful thing.  David in Psalms over and over called God a rock and a mighty fortress.  In Psalms 73 Asaph talks about envying the wicked and I know as Christians we all question why they prosper.  We get a mentality of almost survivor's guilt.  In Spider-Man: The Other Evolve or Die, Peter Parker has adopted this sort of attitude because Uncle Ben and Gwen Stacy died anytime something good happens he lives in fear because he knows something bad is going to happen.  I get that way a lot and I see others prosper while bad seems to be near me.  You stop thanking God and become obsessed on negative things.  
  Watch the change of heart here in Psalm 73:21-28 "Then I realized my heart was bitter, and I was all torn up inside.  I was so foolish and ignorant-- I must have seemed like a senseless animal to you."  Here comes that assurance of belonging to God and turning to Him I was talking about.  "Yet I still belong to you.  You hold my right hand.  You guide me with your counsel leading me to a glorious destiny.  Whom have I in Heaven but you?  I desire you more than anything on earth.  My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever.  Those who desert him will perish, for you destroy those who abandon you.  But as for me, how good it is to be near God!  I have made the Sovereign Lord my shelter, and I will tell everyone about the wonderful things you do."  What Asaph said goes along with this.  Colossians 3:1-4  "Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God's right hand.  Think about the things of heaven, not things of earth.  For you died to this life, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God.  And when Christ, who is your life, is revealed to the whole world, you will share in all his glory."  So when you start envying the wicked or focusing on only bad situations in life wake up and shift your attention back to God.  One of the first Bible studies I did was on Psalm 3:3 "But you, O Lord, are a shield around me; you are my glory, the one who holds my head high."  At one of my lowest moments I read that and it shifted my focus and God had my attention and lifted my head to look at Him.  God loves us so much he has given us assurance and shelter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment