Friday, October 28, 2022

The Approach

The Approach 

 

As some of you know I have a new dog named Arisia.  We as humans can learn a little about our own behavior when it comes to dogs.  Sometimes she can be very timid when approaching me.  When I noticed this, I thought a bit about how we as humans come to God.  We should definitely approach him with fear and reverence.  For He is holy, and we are sinful creatures, yet he calls us to come to him.  Like my dog we desire to find a place of refuge, comfort, and love.  I mentioned before that I’m dealing with some hurt and pain and my dog reminded me to seek my master because as much as we want to handle things on our own, we can’t do it.  There’s a messed up theology that has been circulating for some years that says “God will never give me more than I can handle “.  Actually, God will use problems to bring you to a choice.  Will you choose to seek him or are you going to do things on your own.  Personally, I’m trying to get better at seeking Him.  I don’t always get it right.  I’m trying hard to read my Bible and listen to Christian music more.  I have the Youversion app on my iPhone and I let it read devotionals and the Bible straight to my hearing aids and I listen to sermons while walking at work.  Small choices can make a difference.

 

Jesus said in Matthew 11:28 “Come to me, all ye who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”  

 

God wants us to seek him.  The late Rich Mullins had a song title that just about sums up us as humans.  Simply put “We are not as strong as we think we are.”  All of us like my wobbly dog Arisia are just a few French fries short of a Happy Meal.  

 

Here’s another reason we need to seek God with our problems.  I love how the English Standard Version translates this verse because on days I’m exhausted I’ve prayed this back to God.

 

Psalm 23:3 

“He restores my soul; He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.”  

 

Something as of late that has been bothering me is the sheer plethora of profanity my coworkers use and there are times, I get off work and I’m so happy to be away from it.  God calls us to live a better way.  We need to spend time in prayer and in his Word.  I’ve mentioned before if just one person draws closer to God and finds hope because of something I have shared then I have accomplished my purpose.  Make little choices to seek God.

 

I want to end with these two verses because as someone who works nights, I greatly related to them.

 

 

Psalm 16:7-8

 

“I will bless the Lord who guides me; even at night my heart instructs me.  I know the Lord is always with me.  I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me.”  

 

 

Come near to me by Geoff Moore and the Distance 

God is faithful by Sheila Walsh 

Life to me by ZoeGirl

 


No comments:

Post a Comment