Thursday, November 19, 2020

Gracious

 

Gracious

 

          It’s an often used word.  We use it as an exclamation when saying “Goodness gracious.”  We call people a gracious host or hostess.  Recently I finished reading through Psalms and I saw it a few times.  A few nights ago I read the word again. And it got me thinking so I had to use the google monster to get a better understanding of the word gracious.  Gracious: behaving in a polite, kind and generous way, especially to people of a lower rank.  A gracious act by or gift from God is kind and forgiving.  Also it means being kind, thoughtful and aware of others. 

          There’s a specific passage I thought of when I considered the word gracious.  But first a history lesson.  Numbers 6:24-26 is a High Priestly blessing given by God to Moses to give to the High Priest Aaron to speak over the people of Israel.  Being a preacher’s kid, I have heard my dad speak this over the church congregation.  I have heard other preachers use it too.  It has been turned into a song by Misty Edwards called “Light of Your Face” and that song has one of the coolest guitar riffs you’ll ever hear.  Michael W. Smith quotes it at the end of his cover of the Rich Mullins song “I See You” on his cd Worship Again.  He also used it in the Bible reading plan Still day 3 on the Youversion app.

Numbers 6:24-26

 

          “The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you.  The Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.”

          One of the definitions mentioned being kind towards a person of lower rank.  We as humans are created just a little lower than the angels as mentioned in Hebrews 2:6-8  This next verse I’m going to share should be our prayer because we need God to deal kindly with us.  This was the verse that started this whole blog you’re participating in.  It got me thinking about the word Gracious. 

Isaiah 33:2

 

          “O Lord, be gracious to us; we long for you.  Be our strength every morning, our salvation in time of distress.” 

 

          I mentioned before that the verses in Numbers were a song and I want to end with that. 

 

O Lord, bless me
And keep me
Cause Your face
To shine on me
Lord, be gracious
Let the light of Your countenance
Give me peace

[Chorus]
For I live only
To see Your face, so shine on me
For I live only
To see Your face, so shine on me

[Verse]
O Lord, bless me
And keep me
Cause Your face
To shine on me
Lord, be gracious
Let the light of Your countenance
Give me peace

[Chorus]
For I live only
To see Your face, so shine on me
For I live only
To see Your face, so shine on me

 

 

 

Light of your face by MistyEdwards

I see you by Michael W.Smith

My Soul songs for you byMisty Edwards

Like Innocence/ Sometimes byStep by Hillsong

Ever Be by Bethel Music

No comments:

Post a Comment