Thursday, January 31, 2019

Stinking thinking

Stinking thinking 

We as humans think a lot of ourselves and sometimes it can be scary the levels of arrogance and pride we display.  I’ve seen a meme that sums it up well “I talk a lot of smack for someone who can easily tip over while putting on my underwear.”  I don’t know about you but I’m accident prone.  I was reading in 1 Timothy 1:15-17 and it’s a very sobering and humbling thing to read.  I mean we get these ideas that it’s all about us and not about God and we start doing “Stinking thinking.”  Our brain becomes like a port a potty in need of cleaning.  I have to use them at work I speak from experience here.  I want you to look at this passage.  “Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners— of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life.  Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible the only God be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.”  
This got me to praying something I often ask in regards to myself my wife and one of my friends I prayed that God would make me the person he wants me to be not who I want to be.  I need to be changed and so do you.  Sometimes we don’t get it when we sing Amazing Grace and the first verse says “Amazing Grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me.”  Yeah we’re the wretch it’s talking about.  Salvation brings glory to God.  Our lives afterwards should continue to do so.  I found a cd years ago by this lady named Paige and I can’t find much other info on her but there’s a song on it called So Not About Me.  And one part of it says “Would someone take the stupid spotlight off of me because it’s all about you and who you are and what you’re gonna do.”  It shifts the attention off of her and back to God.  We need to remember who God is and who we aren’t.  Like the old hymn says “I stand amazed in the presence of Jesus the Nazarene and wonder how he could love me a sinner condemned unclean.”  

This verse should be our prayer.  
Psalm 119:133 “Direct my footsteps according to your word let no sin rule over me.”











No comments:

Post a Comment