Sunday, August 26, 2018

Full Circle

Full circle 

Some of you know I make weird observations or illustrations in this blog.  In the fourth Rambo movie they show flashbacks of Colonel Trautman telling John Rambo “It all comes full circle John.”  There’s been times things in my own life have come back full circle.  See roughly seven years ago me being a life group leader started.  Also there is a graphic novel I read last year that brought things full circle for me.  Heroes for Hire : Control was a graphic novel that brought back some of the first heroes and the first villain that together subsequently made me become a comic book fan.  Well seven years ago when I lead my first life group I met this couple at Denny’s at midnight and I still to this day remember that first night and leading a small Bible study on part of Psalm 3.  I still feel like I can’t lead my way out of a paper bag much less lead anyone on a Bible study.  But meanwhile “The city of Townsville.”  Anyway David and Gideon have always been two guys I can really relate to.  I’m back to reading Psalm 3 and I think we still need it.  

“Why is everyone always under or overwhelmed.  Why is it no one is just whelmed anymore?”  Robin the Boy Wonder.  

See David was more than just whelmed he was overwhelmed.  

Psalm 3

“O Lord, I have so many enemies; so many are against me.  So many are saying, ‘God will never rescue him!’
But you , O Lord, are a shield around me; you are my glory, the one who holds my head high.  I cried out to the Lord, and he answered me from his holy mountain. 
I lay down and slept, yet I woke up in safety, for the Lord was watching over me.  
I am not afraid of ten thousand enemies who surround me on every side.  
Arise, O Lord!  Rescue, me my God!  Slap my enemies in the face!  Shatter the teeth of the wicked!  Victory comes from you, O Lord.  May you bless your people.”

Maybe you don’t have physical enemies maybe you have had things said or done around you that stress you out and keep you from resting well.  Look at what David said in there about rest.  He trusted that God would be his shield and that he could sleep safely in that knowledge.  One thing I taught in that first Bible study was this in verse 3 he calls God his glory and in some translations “The Lifter of my head.”  When I taught that it was at a point I had been incredibly depressed and I can tell you it was as if God reached down and like David he made me look up and fix my eyes on God.  In this chapter David has his eyes and trust fixed on God and he knows God can handle all his problems.  I’ve used this as an illustration before but it bears repeating.  I took a motorcycle safety course and one thing our trainer emphasized was this.  “Where you look is where you go.”  With a motorcycle you have a broader field of vision than like a car windshield.  The bike responds to where you look and as you look you begin to lean and take the body and bike with you.  Fix your eyes on God.  

I don’t know exactly when this chapter was written during the life of David but I want you to think about it for a moment.  Here’s a guy a shepherd boy probably heard stories his whole life about the God of Israel who led the people with a cloud by day and pillar of fire by night.  He’s heard of the Red Sea parting, the walls of Jericho falling.  He even tells King Saul before facing Goliath that God has already protected him from wild animals before.  David has had his share of enemies.  This guy knows a thing or two about the odds being against him and he knows where to turn.  

Years ago I was taught a simple song at a church camp and if David was here I’m sure he would echo the idea found in it. 

“My God is so big so strong and so mighty there’s nothing that my God can’t do.”


Psalm 121

“I look up to the mountains— does my help come from there?  My help comes from the Lord,  who made heaven and earth!  He will not let you stumble; the one who watches over you will not slumber. Indeed, he who watches over Israel never slumbers or sleeps.  The Lord himself watches over you!  The Lord stands beside you as your protective shade.  The sun will not harm you by day nor the moon at night.  The Lord keeps you from all harm and watches over your life. The Lord keeps watch over you as you come and go, both now and forever.”  

 Romans 8:31  "What shall we say about such wonderful things as these?  If God is for us, who can ever be against us?"  












In the Name of the Lord by Sandi Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment