Sunday, June 10, 2018

Seek Wisdom

Seek wisdom 

If you spend any time looking at news on Social media or watching tv you begin to notice a trend of well a lack of common sense and people being downright stupid.  We have people doing drugs, snorting condoms, burning themselves with deodorant, eating tide pods, becoming offended by the least little thing, shunning truth and choosing lies.  God calls us multiple times to seek wisdom.  I've been reading in Proverbs and God has a cure for people who need wisdom.  He has a cure in the book of James also.  Do you want to be smarter?

Proverbs 9:10-12 "Fear of the Lord is the foundation of wisdom.  Knowledge of the Holy One results in good judgment.  Wisdom will multiply your days and add years to your life.  If you become wise, you will be the one to benefit.  If you scorn wisdom, you will be the one to suffer."  
Proverbs 16:16 "How much better to get wisdom than gold, and good judgment than silver!"  
Start with the right foundation a proper respect for God and basing your life on what he says.  I took a test recently a long test on helping you understand your spiritual gifts and part of it said something that caught me off guard.  It said that people with the gifts of knowledge, teaching and prophecy love to gain more knowledge by spending time in God's word.  I take great joy in reading the Bible and finding new things and honestly I never really realized I did till after that test.  But wisdom comes from spending time in God's word.  There's a lot of devotionals to help you but never let it take the place of actually reading the Bible and definitely test the devotional you read against what scripture actually says to see if it lines up correctly.  

I said James also has something to say about wisdom 
James 1:5-8. "If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you.  He will not rebuke you for asking.  But when you ask him, be sure that your faith is in God alone.  Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind.  Such people should not expect to receive anything from the Lord.  Their loyalty is divided between God and the world, and they are unstable in everything they do."  See we have to be serious about wanting wisdom and God will provide it.

By this point someone may ask well how do you know God will provide wisdom.  For six years this blog has been ongoing.  I sit to work on it and ask God to show me what he wants said and I ask that it be as little of me as possible.  See I know what a sinful man I am.  I know if I make this about me and try to claim God's glory I am a prideful fool and run great risk of punishment.  That's God's wisdom at work.  Spending time in his word seeking wisdom is smart.  God needs to be first I need to be last.  Recently I started answering questions on Facebook and one of the questions it asked was name a piece of advice your father gave you.  There's three fundamental facts of life he told me.  
1.  There is a God
2.  You are not him
3.  There is no vacancy.  

The reason I know God will provide wisdom when we ask for it is because I'm living proof of that.  So are the people in scripture who have prayed and sought God.  Pastor Micah on more than one occasion said "We're all just one step away from stupid."  There's also another phrase that says "Everything happens for a reason and sometimes that reason is we're stupid and make bad decisions."  But we don't have to we can pray, study God's word and seek wisdom.  
Proverbs 15:14. "A wise person is hungry for knowledge, while the fool feeds on trash."  

No comments:

Post a Comment