Monday, June 18, 2018

One Thing

One thing 

There's a scene in Dirty Harry where Harry Callahan has chased down a robber and he gives his famous speech about how many bullets may or may not be left in the .44 magnum and the robber says "Hey I gots to know."  We pursue after things and we have to know them.  There's a song by the band Finger Eleven(odd name) and it's called One Thing. The chorus says this.  
"If I traded it all
If I gave it all away for one thing 
Just for one thing
If I sorted it out
If I knew all about this one thing
Wouldn't that be something?"  

What are you pursuing and trading it all for?  Some it's sports, relationships, sex, drugs, alcohol.  See in Philippians 3 Paul lists all his credentials for what makes him eligible to preach the gospel but then he say its rubbish.  No matter what he has done it's not good enough then he tells us what his "one thing" and ours should be.  

Philippians 3:7-11 
"I once thought these things were valuable, but now I consider them worthless because of what Christ has done.  Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.  For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ and become one with him.  I no longer count on my own righteousness through obeying the law; rather I become righteous through faith in Christ.  For God's way of making us right with him depends on faith.  I want to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead.  I want to suffer with him, sharing in his death, so that one way or another I will experience the resurrection from the dead."

Paul wanted to know Christ.  That should be the goal of all who claim to be Christians.  Any other pursuits in our lives should fall way under that desire.  

Paul even wanted this kind of passion for the people he wrote the letter to in Colossians.  

Colossians 1:9-10

"So we have not stopped praying for you since we first heard about you.  We ask God to give you complete knowledge of his will and to give you spiritual wisdom and understanding.  Then the way you live will always honor and please the Lord and your lives will produce every kind of good fruit.  All the while, you will grow as you learn to know God better and better."  


















No comments:

Post a Comment