Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Friend of God

A few years ago this song at a church I was played at and I found the lyrics confused me.  It was biblical but it was something that caused me to think.  Part of the song says "I am a friend of God He calls me friend."  See this was my problem.  I can think of God as my King, Savior, Redeemer, Father, Prince of Peace, Lord and more but friend was a strange concept to me.  Jesus however did refer to us as friends.  I want to look at this friendship we have because just maybe someone else struggles with what I did.  Maybe when we're done you'll have a better grasp on this.  John 15:9-17  "“I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love. 10When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father’s commandments and remain in his love. 11I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow! 12This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. 13There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14You are my friends if you do what I command. 15I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn’t confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me. 16You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name. 17This is my command: Love each other."  
  I see first Joy and love come from this.  We have to remain in Him.  It's a love and friendship born of sacrifice.  This friendship makes us confidants of Christ.  He chose us.  We will produce fruit.  We are to love one another.  
This friendship requires us to be humble.  God also cares enough to take care of our worries and fears.
1 Peter 5:6-7  
"6So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor. 7Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you."
It also makes us right with God.  2 Corinthians 5:21
"21For God made Christ, who never sinned, to be the offering for our sin,e so that we could be made right with God through Christ."

Being a friend of God has great benefits!












No comments:

Post a Comment