Friday, September 11, 2015

A different look

Over the years I've heard a lot of sermons on Gideon.  He's been one of my heroes in the Bible and I feel he kinda gets the short end of the stick at times.  When I hear sermons preached about him all I hear is how he doubted and tested God.  If we're honest as humans we're not that different from him.  Look at the time frame that Gideon lived in.  Judges 2:10 "After that generation died, another generation grew up who did not acknowledge the Lord or remember the mighty things he had done for Israel."  Sounds a lot like today.  Then we fast forward to Judges 6:1 to the time when Gideon lived.  "The Israelites did evil in the Lord's sight.  So the Lord handed them over to the Midianites for seven years."  Let that sink in.  Israel has rejected God and brought this seven year tyranny on themselves.  In verse 7 of chapter 6 they finally cry out to God.  Suddenly it occurs to the nation that God can help them if they turn to him.  First God sends a prophet then an Angel of the Lord appeared to Gideon.  vs 12  "The Angel of the Lord appeared to him and said `Mighty hero, The Lord is with you.'"  Now if I was threshing wheat I would like Gideon be caught off guard.  Think about this from the perspective of Gideon for a moment.  He's getting wheat ready for harvest trying to protect it from the Midianites stealing it.  When someone appears and calls you mighty hero you are a farmer.  You might also ask questions.  see my brain goes to movies i like and i can mentally see Casey Jones on the first Ninja Turtle movie asking "Excuse me are you talking to me?  Then this Angel of the Lord tells Gideon God is going to use him to rescue Israel in verses 13-15.  Then look at verses 17-18 because this is the first test Gideon asks of God.  "Gideon replied `If you are truly going to help me, show me a sign to prove it is really the Lord speaking to me.  Don't go away until I come back and bring my offering to you.'  He answered `I will stay here until you return.'"  In 6:33-40 Gideon asks God for a sign with the fleece.  Also before Gideon attacks the enemy he's given a chance by God to hear a dream translated to assure him that God is going to provide the victory.  In Hebrews 11:32 we find Gideon again mentioned and this time it's among the Hall of Faith heroes.  Here's a thought I think we miss about Gideon's story.  We get hung up on the doubting but maybe we have missed the fact that God willingly and patiently dealt with Gideon to prove he can be trusted.  As someone who has had trust issues of my own I am thankful God does that for us.  The Bible is often referred to as the greatest love story ever because it's a story of God reaching down to humankind and he has done so and continues to do so.  He meets us in our need for him.  





The above song Honesty changed the way I viewed prayer.  King David prayed some brutally honest prayers that to this day people become surprised they are in the Bible but God needs us to be honest with him in order to change us.  


the song He never changes was brought to mind by my friend John Sitarski when I was getting this all ready he reminded me of Hebrews 13:8


No comments:

Post a Comment