Sunday, June 8, 2014

Philippians 3:7-11

When you have a chance i urge you to read Philippians chapter 3.  Paul spends the first 6 verses describing what man considers his worth before God.  Then he blows all that out of the water.  See man and religion try to take credit for salvation.  But anything man does really doesn't save us.  Take a quick trip with me to Ephesians 2:8-10.  "God saved you by his grace when you believed.  And you can't take any credit for this; it is a gift from God.  Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it.  For we are God's masterpiece.  He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the the good things he planned for us long ago."  We can do nothing to earn or claim credit for salvation.  All you people trying to work your way into Heaven I've got 3 words for you: "That ain't happening!"  Paul could claim to be the best of the best with his heritage and background but he doesn't.  Watch the words he uses instead.  

7.  "I once thought these things were valuable, but now i consider them as worthless because of what Christ has done."  All the accolades and good we do is rubbish compared to what Christ has done for you.  
8-9.  "Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.  For his sake I have discarded everything else counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ and become one with him.  I no longer count my own righteousness through obeying the law; rather I become righteous through faith in Christ." Christianity is not about a religion of man made rules but about a relationship with Christ.  Paul finds his righteousness in Christ alone.  It's like the old hymn says "Nothing can for sin atone.  Nothing but the blood of Jesus.  Naught of good that I have done, nothing but the blood of Jesus.  The verse continues with this "For God's way of making us right with himself depends on faith."
10-11.  "I want to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead.  I want to suffer with him, sharing in his death so that one way or another I will experience the resurrection from the dead."  It's one thing to have a head knowledge about God but to have a relationship is something entirely different.  God is real and personal and He wants you to know him in a real and personal way.  

Nothing bu the blood medley by Kim Hill 


In Christ Alone Medley by Phillips, Craig and Dean


How Marvelous by Chris Tomlin


 

No comments:

Post a Comment