Sunday, May 25, 2014

Philippians 2:1-11

Humility is something we as humans do well.  "Find Gary Busey."  "It's my money and i want it now!"  From childhood we have developed this innate sense of selfishness and entitlement.  This week my wife and i had a huge fight and I'm stubborn, stupid and selfish and i don't like it.  When i am angry i deserve to have someone slap the taste out of my mouth.  These scriptures we're looking at are sectioned as having the attitude of Christ.  I don't always have that and like you i need help.  There's a wrestling move called the Attitude Adjustment and we need that performed on us from time to time, because as humans our thoughts aren't right.  

1-2.  "Is there any encouragement from belonging to Christ?  Any comfort from His love"  Any fellowship together in the Spirit?  Are your hearts tender and compassionate?  Then make me truly happy by agreeing wholeheartedly with each other, loving one another, and working together with one mind and purpose."  For those reading at home all the questions asked above have the same answer a resounding YES!  The last half of this can be seen at small churches.  This past Sunday Marion and i went to visit my family and went to Lakeview Baptist church where my dad pastors.  Each 3rd Sunday this small church has dinner on the grounds.  If you want to see a living example of wholehearted agreement, love for one another, and working togetherthese people display it at their meals.  Another good example of this is seen by going to Real Life Corpus and meeting the veritable army of volunteers.  Visit them at team time and you find a group of people that have one desire to bring others closer to God using media, singing , child care, teaching, the info desk and greeting.  
 3.  "Don't be selfish; don't try to impress others.  Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves.  So opposite of our "Me" centered ways.  
4.  "Don't look out only for your own interest, but take an interest in others, too."  Speaking as a husband this can sometimes be the hardest thing to do.  I love my wife dearly and i have to put her needs above my own.  I don't always get it right.  
5.  "You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had."  What attitude was that you ask.  Now pay attention I'm getting to that part.  
6.  "Though he was God, He did not think of equality with God as something to cling to."  Wow
7.  "Instead, he gave up his divine privileges; He took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being. When he appeared in human form.  He gave up all of Heaven's glory to be one of us and we have the audacity to think we're something special.
8.  "He humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal's death on a cross."  Jesus chose the cross.  I read this in In Touch magazine this week.  "The Cross--in so many ways history's darkest moment--took place because Jesus was pursuing the joy of redeeming mankind.  Jesus traded in short-term intense suffering for long-term intense happiness."   Jesus did all this to have a real and personal love relationship with you and me.  
9.  "Therefore,  God elevated him to the place of highest honor.  And gave him the name above all other names."   Christ was humble even unto death and God repaid this humility by exalting him.  
10.  "That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow in Heaven and onearth and under the earth,"  There's nobody left out you will bow.  
11.  "And every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the Glory of God the Father."  

At Real Life Pastor Micah constantly reminds us "100 yrs from now all that matters is where someone is at in their relationship with Jesus."  

When my head tends to get too big for me i need a reminder of exactly what i am and these 2 songs I'm posting first will remind us of that.  

Clay and Water by Margaret Becker 


 We are not as strong as we think we are by Rich Mullins Rich Mullins - We Are Not As Strong As We Think We Are (Wheaton College 1997)


Let these next songs humble you before God and bring you to the throne  

He is Lord by Mercy Me "He Is Lord" MercyMe


No other Name by Sandy Patti Sandi Patty No Other Name But Jesus 


None but Jesus by Hillsong United Hillsong United - None But Jesus Acoustic


You are my King by Newsboys Amazing Love - News Boys


Amazing Grace my chains are gone By Chris Tomlin  Chris Tomlin - Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone)

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with the passage. However, when does a person say, "Enough". I know Jesus never said, "Enough, no more help this month". But at some point there is only so much you can do as a human being. Is it wrong to tell a loved one (especially the love of your life) no? What if what you are giving is going to cost a person not to be able to pay your own bills, provide for everyone else in the family? Is that wrong? What does the bible tell us? I kind of feel selfish, but I also realize that I would not ask someone to help me if I knew it was going to hurt them or cause them to face a financial hardship. Is feeling like this wrong?

    ReplyDelete