Monday, June 5, 2017

The Trap



In Return of the Jedi there is a scene where the Rebel Forces are about to attack the Death Star thinking it to be unprotected and Admiral Ackbar yells his most famous line.  "It's a trap!"  I'm here to tell you I found a trap and I haven't completely figured it out.  "I'm caught in a trap I can't walk out."  It's the comparison trap.  I was talking to Marion and my friend David about this.  Sometimes in churches people will ask you "what's God been doing in your life this week?"  It's a question that can make you feel all at once uncomfortable because if you don't have something spectacular going on you can feel like less of a Christian than them.  I teach an online bible study blog and a lot of times it doesn't seem like much compared to say a preacher, artist, teacher, personal trainer or someone that uses these amazing talents they have to bring people closer to God.  I fell in the Martha trap.  
In Luke 10:38:42 "As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home.  Her sister Mary, sat at the Lord's feet, listening to what he taught.  But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said 'Lord doesn't it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work?  Tell her to come and help me.'  But the Lord said to her, 'My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details!  There is only one thing worth being concerned about.  Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.'"
See I get caught in Martha's trap thinking my small bible study couldn't be as important as someone else doing something greater in human eyes for God's kingdom and I get my eyes on people and stupidly like Martha we start telling Jesus what to tell someone else to do.  That's exactly what she did.  Yes it's a trap we get caught in and suffer till we get our eyes back on God.  See I become so worried sometimes because my illustrations sometimes don't fit the norm for a bible teacher or I share music not everyone will like.  Then it starts becoming not about what God is trying to say and how he's trying to use me and more about my fears and insecurities.  This past Sunday Micah was teaching in Galatians 6 and I was hit hard by these two verses.  He was making a point to be yourself and not compare yourself to others. Galatians 6:4-5 "Pay careful attention to your own work, for then you will get satisfaction of a job well done, and you won't need to compare yourself to anyone else.  For we are each responsible for our own conduct."  When you study the Bible each person God used is unique and diverse and he used them in different ways.  My friend David even reminded me that the animals as diverse as they are from skunks, jackals, ostriches, puppies, cats, urchin, and giraffes all in their very existence glorify God by just being what they are.  When you realize you're comparing yourself stop and seek God get your eyes off you and tell Martha she can keep her trap you don't want to play any more reindeer games.  See God designed us all uniquely as part of the body of Christ and when we start comparing ourselves to others we hurt ourselves and the body.  Ephesians 4:16 "He makes the whole body fit together perfectly.  As each part does it's own special work, it helps the other parts grow, so that the whole body is healthy and growing and full of love."  


I had another song that was going to be part of this but then Sunday night I heard better one and that was Brother against Brother by D&K but since I'm in that kind of mood I'm going to post the original song too.  See for those who follow this on facebook I do teasers as I get the blog ready and try to stir up interest that way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment