Monday, March 20, 2017

Protection

As a security guard I walk a lot at night and on those walks I go up a few hills or stand by the waters edge.  I get to see rabbits.  On my walks I pray and thank God for the beautiful scenery.  Towards the end of my night shift I get to watch the sunrise.  Unlike those working days I go home and sleep during the day.  I try to make it a habit to pray before sleeping.  I have friends who complain they can't sleep.  Maybe you need to seek God in prayer. I have days where my mind won't shut up when I need to sleep.  King David had part of the secret.  In Psalms 4:8 "In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, O Lord, will keep me safe." This was a man who spent a majority of his adulthood being in Wars, chased by Saul and Absalom, or some form of physical threat.  Stop and think about that for a moment because it's easy to just read stuff and not have it sink in.  I don't know at what part of David's life that he wrote this but here's a shepherd turned giant killer, quickly turned into a warrior then king but his life was rarely at peace yet he can sleep soundly at night because he trusts in God for protection.     See when we pray we trust that God is going to handle things and if it's before bed you find a peace that allows you to rest.  Psalms 5:11-12 "But let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them sing joyful praises forever.  Spread your protection over them, that all who love your name may be filled with joy.  For you bless the godly, O Lord; you surround them with your shield of love."  I think as Christians we forget we are loved and protected and God can give us rest.  Psalms 23:2 is a verse I often pray as a request to God.  "He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams He renews my strength."  When you're weary and your brain won't shut up before you stab your brain with a q-tip try turning your problems over to God and let him give you rest.  He can restore your soul.  "Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.  Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.  Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand.  His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus."  Philippians 4:6-7















No comments:

Post a Comment