Monday, February 27, 2017

Known forgiveness

This past Saturday I sent my Dad an email because I was reading in Luke 22:31-32 and these two verses caught my attention.  Now first of all I want to let you in on part of my story.  When I first started trying to find the church I was going to spend my time at I went to this church that no longer exists.  There was a pastor there who tried to preach a flawed sermon on Mark 5:24-35 about the woman healed from the issuance of blood by touching Jesus garment.  This man tried to claim when Jesus asked "Who touched me?" It was Because he didn't know.  I stopped going to that church the night I heard that.  Jesus was both fully God and fully man and he knew exactly who touched him.  I was not going to sit under a pastor who denied Jesus's deity and God's sovereignty.  Before his death on the cross Jesus predicts his betrayal and denial.  There's a conversation that takes place in the upper room I want you to look at.  This is Jesus speaking and also further proof he knew all that was about to happen.  "Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift each of you like wheat.  But I have pleaded in prayer for you Simon, that your faith should not fail.  So when you have repented, and turned to me again, strengthen your brothers."  Three times Peter denies Christ.  But Jesus knows he will do so.  But catch the phrasing in the verses because when I read this and remembered his conversation with Jesus after the resurrection that he and Peter have on the beach it takes on a much deeper meaning.  In John 21 Jesus asks Peter 3 times "Simon, son of John do you love me?"  After Peter says yes Jesus tells him feed my sheep.  Peter becomes a man who helps turn the world upside down for Christ.  Jesus predicted his betrayal and his return and lovingly welcomes Peter back and gives him a task to strengthen his brothers.  The man denied Christ three times and he's welcomed back and forgiven.  That's forgiveness and love only God can give. See in Romans 5:8 Paul explains it about as clearly as it can get.  "But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners."  It's a love and forgiveness that Peter didn't deserve or could never earn. Jesus knew he was going to betray him and knew he would turn back and he welcomed him back with love.  We don't deserve it either.  

"Love keeps no record of being wronged."  1 Corinthians 13:5

"Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will never count against him."  Romans 4:8

"I stand amazed in the presence of Jesus the Nazarene and wonder how he could love me a a sinner condemned unclean."  















I need to let you in on something that happened a little over a week ago.  I have an employee I sign in multiple times a week named Bruce and he has a tendency to show up at work with what I caught after a bit to be sermons playing in his car.  Well on a Sunday he showed up and i heard this voice singing and it was Your Great Name by Natalie Grant.  like Bruce told me it's always a good time to praise God.



No comments:

Post a Comment