Tuesday, November 18, 2014

2 Timothy 3

I started reading this chapter and i can tell you this I saw a lot of our world's current state of affairs in it, but there is hope at the end.  Seventeen verses that are packed.  


1.  It starts with a warning.  "You should know this Timothy, that in the last days there will be very difficult times."  "Danger Will Robinson danger!"
2-5.  "For people love only themselves and their money.  They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful.  They will consider nothing sacred.  They will be unloving and unforgiving.  They will slander others and have no self-control.  They will be cruel and hate what is good.  They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride and love pleasure rather than God.  They will act religious but they will reject the powers that will make them godly.  Stay away from people like that."  I have seen nearly all of these kinds of people.
6-9.  "They are the kind who work their way into people's homes and win the confidence of vulnerable women who are burdened with the guilt of sin and controlled by various desires. (Such women are forever following new teachings, but they are never able to understand the truth).  These teachers oppose the truth just as Jannes and Jambres opposes Moses.  They have depraved minds and a counterfeit faith.  But they won't get away with this for long.  Someday, everyone will recognize what fools they are, just as Jannes and Jambres"  From what i gather Jannes and Jambres were magicians who followed and annoyed Moses and Aaron.  While i can't verify that's completely true I do understand these verses to be a warning to them that God will bring their lies to light and judge them,  
10-11.  "But you Timothy, certainly know what I teach and how I live, and what my purpose in life is.  You know my faith, my patience, my love and my endurance.  You know how much persecution and suffering I have endured.  You know all about how I was persecuted in Antioch, Iconium and Lystra- but the Lord rescued me from all of it."  Hey Timothy, this is who I am, here's my credentials; this is how you can trust what I'm saying.  
12.  "Yes and everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution."  Somehow the preachers on TV have missed this verse because they say when you follow God all your trouble disappears.  Jesus pointed out and entirely different picture in John 16:33  "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me.  Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows.  But take heart because I have overcome the world."  We're going to have trouble count on it but for the believer we have someone to turn to named Jesus Christ the author and perfecter of our faith.  
13.  "But evil people and impostors will flourish, they will deceive others and themselves be deceived."  I read that last part and it reminded me of 2 things.  There was a series of graphic novels a few yrs back called Justice and in the prologue they gave a description of a classic Disney villain.  He or she does not see what they are doing as being wrong.  The things they do they see as benefiting to the hero where they think they are helping.  The second thing that came to mind is this:  My first girlfriend was a liar.  She had told so many stories to so many people she believed them.  False teacher think they're helping and bettering you and they believe the things they are saying deceiving themselves.  
14.  "But you must remain faithful to the things you have been taught.  You know they are true, for you know you can trust those who taught you."  Examine things against God's word see if they are true.  
15.  "You have been taught the holy scriptures from childhood and they have given you the wisdom to receive the salvation that comes by trusting in Christ Jesus."  Like Timothy we need to rely on the foundation of God's word.      
 16-17.  "All scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives.  It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.  God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work."  


This song holds a special place in my heart for a few reasons i read this series of books called the Wayfinders Stone trilogy and it spoke of a stone on strapped to their shoe so they could find their way.  my wife is legally blind and very often she holds my hand for guidance.  in Psalms 119 David refers to God's word being a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path.  
Thy Word- Michael W. Smith and Amy Grant Michael W. Smith & Amy Grant - Thy Word - [Live]




No comments:

Post a Comment