Friday, January 3, 2014

Galatians 5:16-26

5:16  "So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide you lives, then you won't be doing what your sinful nature craves."  That is a powerful verse.  Only a Christian who has placed their faith in Jesus Christ can do this.  But to be guided by the Holy Spirit we have to do something our sinful nature doesn't want us to do.  I will admit not having control of things frustrates me but if I want the Holy Spirit to guide me I have to stop being in control.  I have to surrender. 
17.  "The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants.  And the Spirit gives us desires that are opposite of what the sinful nature desires.  These two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions."  See Romans 7:14-25 for how this struggle affected the Apostle Paul.  The band Petra took a cue from classic literature describing it this way.  "Sometimes I feel like Jekyll and Hyde.  Two men are fighting a war inside."  Being a wrestling fan I think of it like two men are inside locked in a collar and elbow tie up locked arms struggling with no give.
18.  When you are directed by the Spirit however you are not condemned by the law or under obligation. 
19-21.  List the desires of the sinful nature and some of these come all too easy.  Paul warns us that these things keep us from the kingdom of God. 
Verse 22 though is where I begin to smile.  When I was about 18 it was a time when churches would try various things to get kids to memorize scripture.  At Camp Zephyr I was taught a song that was to help you learn the fruit of the Spirit and I did.  If you've heard this song too sing along with me.  "Oh the fruit of the Spirit is not a banana. No!"  Then you shout the next part.  "The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control."  There is no law against these things. 
24.  "Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to the cross and crucified them there."  It's not often people sing the third verse of It is well with my soul but if you understand your sinful nature you want to.  "My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought.  My sin not in part but the whole, is nailed to the cross and I bear it no more.  Praise the Lord Praise the Lord oh, my soul." 
Read verse 25 in how many parts of our lives do we want to follow the Spirit?  EVERY PART!!!!!!
26.  "Let us not become conceited, or provoke one another or be jealous of one another."

It is well with my soul by Larnelle Harris, Steve Green and Steve Amerson  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGk0cO7q_E

I surrender all by Selah and Michael English http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u73ed6AAyEY

Surrender by Lincoln Brewster  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oyHpLg32c8

Take from me my life.  by Third Day If you've never heard it they teach you the song.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTTaK3oc8-A

This is the song I referenced before Jekyll and Hyde by Petra http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-E23qfUTUU   

No comments:

Post a Comment