Friday, December 13, 2013

Freedom in Christ

First a disclaimer before we get right into things.  If any of you have noticed that I'm sending these bible studies out a little later than normal well there's a reason for that.  Due to mine and my wife's work schedules she had asked me to simply send the e-mails to her like I did with everyone else.  around Thanksgiving twice Marion mentioned she missed that time together studying the bible with me.  That was a wake up call to me.  God used it to get my attention and remind me that our marriage needed that time set aside.  If I am to be the spiritual head of the household as God called me as a husband to be I need to set that time aside to spend with God and my wife.  so if things seem delayed have no fear you will get your dose of your weekly Bat Cave blog but not till after I get to have bible study with my wife.   

  Some of this might be controversial and if it is to you I don't mean to offend you.  We as believers have freedom in Christ.  I have been to many churches in the 37 yrs of my life.  Some worship in different ways, some have lots of rules and regulations or they will impose things on you and tell you it's their way or you're not right before God.  I've been to churches that dictate how you can dress, which versions of the bible you can read and make decisions on the music you can listen to.  Galatians 4 and 5 talk about us having freedom.  To quote the group 4 Him "Freedom can only be known in the love of Jesus."  In the early church the Jewish Christians were always telling the Gentiles(that's us non Israelites) we had to obey the law and be circumcised in order to be right with God.  Now maybe I'm weird in thinking this but what about the women folk?  last I checked circumcision would be physically impossible for them.  So according to Jewish logic they can't be made right with God?  Nah I can't even buy that for a dollar.  Jews were big on rules and regulations and traditions.  See the Galatians were becoming confused and misled by what the Jewish believers were forcing on them.  Galatians 4:8-12 "Before you Gentiles knew God you were slaves to so called gods that do not even exist.  So that you who know God (or should I say now that God knows you) why do you want to go back again and become slaves once more to the weak and useless spiritual principles of this world?  You are trying to earn favor with God by observing certain days or months or seasons or years.  I fear for you.  Perhaps all my hard work with you was for nothing.  Dear brothers and sisters I plead with you to live as I do in freedom from these things for I have become like you Gentiles--free from these laws."  Paul goes on to impress on the Galatians their freedom from these traditions and rules.  Gal 5:1 "So Christ has truly set us free.  Now make sure that you stay free, and don't get tied up again in slavery to the law.  We discussed this last week the law can't save us and we can't keep it only Jesus death on the cross can save us.  Gal 5:5-6 "But we who live by the Spirit eagerly wait to receive by faith the righteousness God has promised to us.  For when we place our faith in Christ Jesus, their is no benefit in being circumcised of being uncircumcised.  What is important is faith expressing itself in love"  Faith expressing itself in love think about that phrase and what it could look like.  As Americans we have freedoms with those freedoms comes a bit of power.  Yes we have freedom in Christ to worship certain ways.  A wise man named Stan Lee had this to say about power and the freedom that comes with it.  "With great power there must also come great responsibility."  We can worship and interact with other believers in many ways and yes we have freedom but there's responsibility that comes with it.  Gal 5:13-15 "For you have been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters.  But don't use your freedom to satisfy you sinful nature.  Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love.  For the whole law can be summed up in this one command `Love your neighbor as yourself'.  But if you are always biting and devouring one another, watch out!  Because of your destroying one another"  Let go of rules and tradition find your salvation in Christ's completed work on the cross.  Misty Edwards sums this up well when referring to our purpose and relationship with God.  "For I was made to love you and be loved by you."  There is freedom in our worship don't use it to hurt others but serve in love. 


This is the story of our Freedom.  No Need to Explain by Geoff Moore and the Distance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbd3JNY8IsQ  if you're looking for the words to the song they are right below the video. 


Freedom is here by Hillsong http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xSopsvstzk I first heard this song at Real Life Corpus and I have to say just this one thing.  the song is heavy on drums while Hillsong does a good job I like the song best when my good friend Chris Godoy is playing the drums. 

No comments:

Post a Comment