Thursday, November 14, 2013

Grace and Peace Galatians 1:1-5

    I'm hoping and praying as we embark on this new study adventure to uncover ways to apply God's word to everyday life.  A few days ago I read Galatians chapter 1 and a common phrase has been going thru my head ever since then.  First of all why should we listen to the apostle Paul.  Well how about writing 90% of the New Testament for the start of his resume, led multitudes of people to Christ, been persecuted, beaten, stoned, and killed all for proclaiming the gospel.  Does founding and building churches everywhere you go get him any street cred as the kids these days say?  If Marvel or DC were going to create a comic book based on the life of Paul the title on the cover would be something like Uber Christian.  But don't believe me let's look at how he provides his credentials. 
 
1-2.  "This letter is from Paul, an apostle, I was not appointed by any group of people or any human authority, but by Jesus Christ himself and by God the Father, who raised Jesus from the dead."  See Acts 9 for Saul's conversion to Christ and his name being changed to Paul.  Paul in this first and second verse throws down the gauntlet as it were.  This is who I am and who sent me.  This is why I can say what I have to say.  To me this is a start of a letter but it has all the impact and punch of a wrestling promo.  For those who don't know what a wrestling promo is let me explain.  you pick up a microphone and you say what you have to say and usually issue a challenge.  I'm Paul here's who I am and what I know and believe and who sent me.  Bam!  My Pastor Greg Blankenship gets this each Sunday after the first song he comes out and talks.  "Welcome to Real Life Corpus Christi."  he proceeds to list a little of what the church believes.  This is a letter to the church of Galatia.  "May I have your attention please!"
3.  "May God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ give you grace and peace."  Here's that phrase I mentioned earlier that has just demanded my attention.  This is not just a greeting this is a prayer as well.  It's simple to read but lately I've been thinking about it.  I can't ever recall ever greeting anyone and asking God my Father to show or give them  grace and peace.  This is the application I think God wants me and you to learn greet someone this week and pray and ask God to give them grace and peace.
4-5.  This is the gospel in a nutshell. 
 
With the greeting we have learned I found this old hymn to very much apply.  I had never even heard this till this past yr.  God be with you by Selah http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVcj3nW6OE8
 
and as you go places don't forget this old hymn Take the name of Jesus with you by the Table Singers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWJycJx-1Co
 
This next song brings back a lot of memories for me.  Years ago in Annaville Texas Skateland West hosted on Monday nights Christian skate nights.  All they played that evening was Christian music.  I remember often going around skating to this next song and requesting it be played.  There's a movie coming out soon featuring Kevin Sorbo, The Newsboys, along with Willie Robertson from Duck Dynasty and it's called God's not dead.  you as Christians are servants of the living God just like Paul the apostle.  as soon as I saw ad's for God's not dead the movie I remembered this classic song.  I've got something to say by Al Denson http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM_pLLjbvvE
 
As you greet your friends with grace and peace be thankful for them being in your life.  Circle of friends by Point of Grace http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUxZX94-ock

No comments:

Post a Comment